Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Whos On the Air waves
Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeToday at 4:37 pm by BRONSON 86

» Complete novice needs advice.
Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeToday at 2:33 pm by Alan Pilot

» New Call request.
Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeToday at 1:42 pm by Tristar777

» Introduction and callsign request.
Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeToday at 1:07 pm by Victor

» Hi from Haverhill Suffolk
Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeToday at 10:40 am by glenn dog

» Rsgb booking
Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeToday at 10:25 am by Alan Pilot

» Ct call sign request.
Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeToday at 8:23 am by StevieG

» President MCKinley
Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:01 pm by StevieG

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:54 pm by StevieG

Keywords
ss9900 sign yaesu tickets Mckinley list lincoln Sirio midland tango supply president power radio alan division 9900 callsign bazooka frequency charlie ss6900n Calling call Mobile antenna
QRZ Database

Inheriting a call sign

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tim Tom
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

Inheriting a call sign Empty
PostSubject: Inheriting a call sign   Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 6:26 pm

Evening ladies and gents,

Just been to see my grandad who's getting on a bit and he was an amateur back in his day. I said I had booked up to my foundation licence and he said I could inherit and use his call sign.

He used to be a G3 but let it lapse and had to change to a G8 call sign (G8BCK I think he said? Could be wrong on the last 3) now how would it work? Would I have to go on and do my full licence to use it or could I use it but under foundation licence conditions?

Also has anyone inherited a call sign before and is it easy to get sorted?

Cheers.

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 15
QTH or Location : Holyhead
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A.

PostSubject: Re: Inheriting a call sign   Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 7:54 pm

You would need a full licence.
I knew a guy who took his dad's old call but he had to pay but don't know any details of how he went about it.
It was a few years ago so things might have changed but i am sure someone will put us right on it.

Tim Tom likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Tim Tom
Tim Tom

PostSubject: Re: Inheriting a call sign   Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
You would need a full licence.
I knew a guy who took his dad's old call but he had to pay but don't know any details of how he went about it.
It was a few years ago so things might have changed but i am sure someone will put us right on it.

Ah fair enough, gives me somthing to work towards then!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 73
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Inheriting a call sign   Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2020 8:14 am

Hi Tim,

The most up to date information I could find surrounding this question was at the following link :-

Southgate ARC News

It does look like you can obtain certain old callsign groups if you pass your Full exam using the online exam system. You may have to dig around the OfCom website to find out more. However, it does look limited and on a first come, first served basis.

I like the idea of 'inheriting' callsigns from direct family members, it's a really nice gesture to their honour and even their influence on your life. It could also be fraught with problems, extra admin to overpushed authorities let alone 'miners' who if they could get away with it would 'park' or 'collect' callsigns in the hope of making a buck or two 'selling' them on. (Look what happened to the 'cherised' number plate malarkey in the UK!)

It is a 'nice' gesture that OfCom let you choose your three letters of your callsign at the moment, I myself chose 'VIC' for obvious reasons but that was after initially choosing 'VCT' and finding out it was already issued. Some chose other combinations of letters to mean something to them, not just names but 'technical' terms, sometimes profanities and I've even seen a 'COV' that was chosen not as initials but in reference to the nasty virus the world is currently dealing with.....tastes differ.

In retrospect I think it would've been better to have callsigns allocated automatically, (still a choice when you apply at OfCom), thus avoiding issues with such things. The callsign is after all your 'station' ident, even if you are unhappy with a random choice it doesn't truly matter.

I'd personally honour your Grandfather in mention than by some half remembered & reissued callsign. 
The, "I'm a Ham, my Grandfather was a Ham, my Mother also influenced me with radio", type of conversations hold much more sentiment to me than mention of a random jumble of letters & numbers.

But that's just me Wink

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC Online
Tim Tom
Tim Tom

PostSubject: Re: Inheriting a call sign   Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2020 9:21 am

Thanks for that Victor. Yeah I suppose it would be a bit of showing off if I said all of that and then added I'm also using my grandads call sign lol. To be honest as it involves taking my full exam I think I'll just see how it goes, if i ever decide to do my intermediate then full then I may look at taking it if it's available.

Who knows I could pass my foundation in January and just stop there or decide that amateur isn't fully for me. Who knows.

Cheers
Tim

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 73
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Inheriting a call sign   Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2020 11:02 am

Hi Tim,

Nothing wrong with a bit of 'showing off' mate  Wink

You've got something to be proud of and something I don't hear everyday.
It was great to see you with a radio interest and even better to hear your story of how your Mum drove you about for your CB interest, (and hearing hers). Hearing that your Grandfather was also a radio Ham was just the best. The Cake, the Icing and the Cherry on top!

It's not often that you hear about three generations of a family having the same interest in anything let alone radio.

I do hope that your Foundation studies and exam are successful and that once there you enjoy what the hobby can bring. It is a multi-discipline hobby, there is no one particular area of interest you 'have' to concentrate on and no 'right' or 'wrong' interest either. (Despite what some like to spout!)

It'd be great if like me your CB interests continue too, CB radio does have more 'freedoms' than licenced Amateur Radio.

I get a thrill when one of my Grandchildren play with my radios and even more when my Grandson calls on his PMR walkie saying, "Hello Grandad. Are you there? Over". (He's Three! Smile)

Maybe one day you'll be sat there with your own child playing with radio, (four generations!), and maybe even one day with your own Grandchildren, (five generations!!) Who knows?

That's definitely something I'd be proud to 'show off' about. Smile

All the best to you,
Victor

Tim Tom likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC Online
STARSHIP
Major contributor
Major contributor
STARSHIP

Call Sign : 26CT695 & M3PIE
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : PRESTON, LANCASHIRE
Equipment Used : KENWOOD TS-570DG, RANGER 811H

PostSubject: Re: Inheriting a call sign   Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Hello Tin.
First good luck going through the 3 levels of exams to get your full call.
As regards getting a old call from family get a letter off them to support your application.
use this  from Ofcom with your letter OfW346-Amateur-Radio-Application.pdf (ofcom.org.uk)
And send it with a set up fee is charged of £20 by Ofcom. Along with your exam pass certificate  which they will send back.
After you are licenced you can revalidate every 5 years online fee of charge.

Tim Tom likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inheriting a call sign   Inheriting a call sign Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inheriting a call sign
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: