Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» SIGMA EUROCOM SE-HF-X80
Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 6:26 pm by Alan Pilot

» Coax i am using 213
Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 4:23 pm by NUBSTER

» 11m conditions
Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 3:02 pm by NUBSTER

» Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?
Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:14 pm by Alan Pilot

» introduction/call sign request
Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:01 pm by Fa7errider44

» call sign request
Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by Lloyd

» Call sign request (Issued)
Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 11:10 am by Tony Curtis

» Call sign request (Issued)
Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 11:09 am by Tony Curtis

» Trips Down Memory Lane
Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:24 am by NUBSTER

Keywords
Mckinley call lincoln Baofeng tickets tango ss9900 president bazooka callsign ss6900n antenna frequency Sirio alan midland power chart radio charlie Mobile division Calling list 9900 sign
QRZ Database

Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
43CT016
Contributor
Contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700

Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2020 9:12 am

Victor wrote:

I've heard many a VK call sign over my years of SWL Jeff, so here's hoping with the rising sunspot cycle that I may even be able to chat to you directly one day. The door is now open.

All the best to you and yours,
Victor

(Love chatting to you Jeff, had to say it because we've had wonderful conversation on here!)

Still get it now mate.....and I tend to find it’s from the old boys who had to do written exams and morse.  We’re not real amateurs because we did multiple choice, apparantly.  Very Happy

I just give it back to them asking if they’d like to re-certify, and that perhaps we should add some more digital mode stuff, and include Windows USB driver and soundcard troubleshooting, and the like.....it’s so easy to get a bite, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel. 

Yeah, when 20 and 40 is a bit more consistent, we’ll have to have a bash....but in the interim, once you’re licensed, we can always link a repeater or two.  I was on a local VK6 repeater the other month and heard an MM0 call pop up, so had to grab him for a chat.....was on one of the remote islands too.  How I wish that was a HF contact!

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 63
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2020 9:29 am

Ha, Ha! Very Happy Very Happy

Yeah, so much more to learn today! 

I have been looking more into the fascinating world of digital modes, repeater linking etc. Direct radio contact is just the best but the new technologies do open possibilities for Amateurs. Even though some liken it to 'mobile phones' I've yet to see someone have to program their phone, make a soundcard interface cable for it, install software and spend hours getting their levels right before making a call! Wink Very Happy

As I said, the door is now open for me and I'm thoroughly looking forward to exploring what's on the other side.

Bandrunner, 43CT016 and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
STARSHIP
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
STARSHIP

Call Sign : 26CT695
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : PRESTON, LANCASHIRE
Equipment Used : KENWOOD TS-570DG,

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 9:02 pm

Again Victor welcome.
You will become one with the Hams!!
Is it not time for a CT net on 80 or 40m as the was years ago for the new hams in this group to find there feet.
Mark

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 9:47 pm

Ha! Very Happy

Hi Mark,

I do see the funny side mate and probably am a little defensive because of past horrible history. So I apologise if I have come across a bit awkward. I was overwhelmed with finally entering the Amateur world and the very moment I passed my Foundation exam my granddaughter came into the world. Quite a thing and she will now always be my little radio girl Smile

The admin team did mention a CT net on 80m or 40m and as you mention would be a good opportunity for newly licenced CT members to cut their teeth on. It may well go some for balancing the books here on CT for radio interests overall. I shall bring it up with the rest of the team.

My 'assimilation' is complete now, (Wink), with a first contact to a very dear old friend M0GRV via the GB3PI repeater on 2m today.
(The RSGB really moved it, certificate & Ofcom notice so quickly!)

All the very best to you Mark.

de
M7VIC

Alan - Mirror Man and STARSHIP like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
43CT016
Contributor
Contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 10:44 am

Victor wrote:

de
M7VIC

Love the call.....always nice when you can get your initials or name....just have to keep it up when you upgrade. Very Happy

I’m about to apply for my reciprocal full call for our next visit when this Covid crap finishes....wonder if they’ll let me choose?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 11:40 am

Ha! Very Happy Cheers Jeff.
I did want "VICTOR-CHARLIE-TANGO" for obvious reasons but it was already gone. VIC seemed the next best choice Smile

Here's hoping they let you choose, but in all reality it's just the cherry on top of the cake. I'm just enjoying hitting all those extra bands I now have access to! Smile

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 3000, MD200 mic ,Vortex 4 ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 11:50 pm

Many congrats Victor on both fronts, well done matey!

Very much hope to catch you on the bands soon 

Enjoy 

Craig

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 am

Cheers Craig, much appreciated Smile

Still at the 'kid in a sweet shop' stage. Don't know which sweet to pick and like a kid, I want them all! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
43CT016
Contributor
Contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 8:15 am

Victor wrote:
Cheers Craig, much appreciated Smile

Still at the 'kid in a sweet shop' stage. Don't know which sweet to pick and like a kid, I want them all! Very Happy

Do you get all bands as a Foundation over there?  In addition to the 10w limit, F-calls here don't get 160/30/20/17/12/6, or anything above 70cm from memory.

Even standard calls don't get 160, half of 6m, or the WARC bands.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 9:20 am

Jeff,

We're pretty lucky mate and get just about all the bands! Smile
(With exceptions but very small)

Couldn't find a band plan sheet on it's own but it's covered on page 2 of the Foundation exam reference data EX307.
Link below :-

RSGB - ex307.pdf

How good is that? Smile

Typically I'm all fired up and ready to go but so much to do!
HF fan dipole needs tweaking, homebrew ATU needs casing up, chinese handy is leaving a lot to be desired, just upgraded my PC and need to install a new Linux OS, then find out what software will run on it, etc. etc.

.......of course my wife is all "Grandma'd" to the hilt and thinks a new grandchild means the house needs redecorating (!?!?!?)

Of course I shouldn't complain, I'm pretty lucky with the gear I've got, (Yaesu FT757gx that was unbelievably gifted to me to from my Ham friend!), and the knowledge to set it up and run it all. 

Some new Foundation Hams are starting out with no gear, little or no practical experience, limited hands-on help due to current conditions and a bewildering array of options. Doesn't help when 'recommendations' are flung at them of expensive "shack-in-a-box" rigs or multi-thousand pound rigs either. Makes it all a much higher wall to climb that it really needs to be.

I'm overwhelmed because of the choices I've got, but some must be feeling underwhelmed facing seemingly impossible barriers.

That problem might have just given me some ideas for future postings Wink

All the best to you mate,
Victor

Back to top Go down
View user profile
morris
Contributor
Contributor
morris

Call Sign : CT11111
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : kent

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 10:03 am

Victor wrote:
In fact :-

M7 something, something, something........dark side Very Happy

I've finally succumbed to the lure of the dark side and just passed my Foundation exam Smile

Couldn't help it and had to tell all you buggers that reinvigorated my passion for radio all about it!

Yes, it's all your fault. Every chat, every thank you, every debate, everyone else's announcement of passing their Ham exam....... you're all a bad influence! Very Happy

I honestly can't blame, ahem, thank you all enough for everything. Here's to you Charlie Tango and all who reside there!
Plus a big thanks to the army of Radio Ham volunteers that make this all possible.

(You can't be the first to congratulate me either, just as I'd passed my youngest daughter started giving birth to my granddaughter, my fourth granddaughter and fifth grandchild! I am well and truly having a flipping great day! Smile)

All my very best regards to every one of you,

Victor

Radio Amateur
Proud Grandfather

Congratulations Victor, i too passed my foundation exam yesterday, our paths may cross on one band or another at some point  Very Happy
73s from M7 ???  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 10:36 am

Nice one John, a big congratulations to you mate! 👏 👍

I'm as chuffed to bits when others pass as I felt when I passed! Smile

If my example is anything to go by it won't take long to get your RSGB pass certificate, then you can log onto Ofcom and exchange your candidate number for a call sign. It's a brilliant feeling!

Well done again mate, really pleased for you.
If you want to sing it from the rooftops then why not make a posting exclaiming it as I'm pretty sure most will want to congratulate you. Up to you though Wink

73's
from M7VIC to M7.....you'll be there soon enough! Smile

morris and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
morris
Contributor
Contributor
morris

Call Sign : CT11111
QTH or Location : kent

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Thanks Victor, me thinks i`ll enter the CT Christmas raffle and try to acquire that new Yaesu to go with my new licence  Very Happy

all the best

John

glenn dog, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan - Mirror Man
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 11:15 am

Firstly, let me congratulate you on both marvellous achievements, just how much good news can a man take in just one day?  I am sure you were over the moon and then some and I hope mother and baby are doing well...now that bit is out of the way lets get onto the radio stuff.

It is not that long since I was in the same position so I can really relate your exam experience which sounds very similar to my own and probably that of some of the other guys too, it seems every time I log into the C.T. website these days another Charlie Tango is getting his ticket.

I am hopeful that with the influx of new blood to the Ham side of things that the old elitist attitudes will fade out somewhat, everybody has been friendly, polite and helpful to me but I have overheard some interesting viewpoints with one chap deeming us little more than operators as we didn't build our own radios, which, in fairness, I am quite interested in doing but I thought I would start with something simple like a single valve receiver.

Keep being the odd fly in the pool mate we need more of it, conformity is drudgery! (says the old punk rocker)

Congratulations & 73'3

Alan

Last edited by Alan - Mirror Man on Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

morris and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
43CT016
Contributor
Contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 12:19 pm

morris wrote:
Thanks Victor, me thinks i`ll enter the CT Christmas raffle and try to acquire that new Yaesu to go with my new licence  Very Happy

all the best

John

It’s a great little radio...amazing receiver for the money.

I have one for fixed portable type use, also opened up for 11m.

Oh, and I’m a complete iCom fanboy usually.... Very Happy

morris, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi Alan,
(Mirror Man, just in case we get all the Alans confused Wink)

Really appreciate your kinds words so thank you very much mate. Mother and baby are doing well thanks and surrounded with loving family, (and very doting Grandfather, do love a 'new' baby!)

I remember well you passing Alan and can firmly place you amongst the 'influencers' here on CT!
It really is exciting to see so many people coming back to or starting radio this year, let alone those that pushed further and took their ticket. Let's hope the trend continues!

As for any negative words to new Hams I have to admit it's quite few and far between but does jar you when you do hear it. With the amount of new M7/MM7/MW7/MD7s etc. crashing into the Ham world the tsunami will drown out such voices.

Nice one with going further with your pursuits Alan, a single valve receiver sounds like a great adventure. I remember pulling apart a broken TV as a lad to scrounge the parts for a one valve regenerative receiver many, many moons ago! The bug will bite you and you'll want to build more stuff! (Be good stead for the Intermediate too!)

When the new baby 'frenzy' dies down here I hope to get my homebrew ATU boxed, finish up the 'station' and catch you on the bands one day Alan (MM7AXH - been taking notes of CT Ham call signs Wink)

All the best to you mate,
Victor

morris, glenn dog and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ranger
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
ranger

Call Sign : 26CT140/26TM140
QTH or Location : Essex

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi Victor,

After some testing,
 I can tx into GB3PI when your next near a radio,
73s 
Trevor

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.   Something, Something, Something.....Dark side. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2020 7:30 am

Hi Trevor,

My apologies for only just noticing your comment and kind offer. I've sent you a PM regards a QSO.

Well done on hitting PI from Essex and again, thanks for the offer. Great stuff! Smile

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Something, Something, Something.....Dark side.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: