Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Foundation check
Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeToday at 12:04 pm by 26ct954

» Lw10 long wire
Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeToday at 9:12 am by 26ct954

» Which SSB radio?
Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeToday at 5:44 am by Alan Pilot

» BACK TO THE BEGINING (Issued)
Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:08 pm by beanie

» pro 2042 scanner with mods
Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:05 pm by rabbi

» Intro and a CT c/s request (issued)
Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:56 pm by SacredDog

» Application for a CT Call Sign and a short introduction (Issued)
Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:13 pm by John123

» application for a call sign please (Issued)
Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:11 pm by John123

» FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)
Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:00 pm by Victor

Keywords
president frequency yaesu Sirio alan power Calling ss9900 ss6900n callsign list charlie 9900 tango division tickets 6900n Mobile bazooka midland antenna radio lincoln call sign Mckinley
QRZ Database

Solar Storms & our Fragile Society

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 73
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Empty
PostSubject: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 10:29 am

Hi all,

Warning............It's waffle time! Smile

At the start of the year most of us would've looked on suspiciously at anyone claiming the fragility of society.
Hmm? Hindsight is a real kick in the teeth!

We've "escaped" from the real world, filled our time from having to stay home for a bit and judging by the content here on the forum, made barely a mention. OK, we've had a lot more requests for CT callsigns, more CB operators and seen more people aspire to and become Radio Amateurs. CB radio prices went up, especially when new stock ran out.
Perhaps that was a "prepping" thing?......

But you also couldn't get a bicycle for love nor money, flour ran out as people home baked, internet & TV subscriptions demand went through the roof! Were we prepping? Perhaps most of us were just a little bored Wink

Luckily, despite the apparent madness we had our home comforts. (We'll leave the toilet roll fiasco aside for now). We had our electricity and our internet, we could online shop to buy our essentials.....and bicycles, guitars, crafting supplies, cookery books and new sofas to watch all that extra TV we bought. (Who'd have thought TV content would run aground too?!?)

Thank heaven for small mercies eh?

So onto the main point of my latest waffle....what if we'd lost those taken for granted basics?

Take a look at the following link if you may.....

Space Weather - The Carrington Event

Seems events such as mass solar ejections are not the rarity we often think of. If you don't know much about it I'll go into the doom and gloom aspect a little.....but not too much, it's surprisingly enough, a little miserable.

Some of you may have heard about E.M.P. (Electro Magnetic Pulses) and the catastrophic chaos it causes to metallic carrying items. 
It's not just a weird science fiction thing or solely the results of a nuclear explosion either. A massive solar ejection event does the same and more.

That's pretty much most of your comfort technology affected or wiped out....from the windings in generators at the power stations to the complicated switching arrangements therein and massive computer reliance to keep the whole thing running. The cables and pylons that distribute the electricity to the consumers, not just you but also the manufacturing and distribution networks that we all rely on. 
Most electronic devices will be affected too, especially all those modern devices carrying tiny components, microprocessors and tiny thin little copper tracks to connect them all together. That'll be all of them, not just your phone but also the networks and satellites that support such technology. So even if they manage to "turn the power back on", you may well find the technology that utilised it won't work....no phone, no internet, heck your fridge might not even work!

The ramifications on other technology reliant systems are almost unthinkable too! (Hospital anyone?)

Your radios will undoubtedly be affected, most modern radios carrying the same micro technology with processors, fancy colour screens and pan-adapters. They may well be destroyed, especially with all the cabling and big antennas we hook them up to.
Yeah, someone's gonna mention Valve radios are EMP proof.......not a lot of use if there's no electricity to run it from Wink

'Preppers' may well unravel the tin foil hat they wear to stop government 5G signals from frying their brains and wrap it around their radios instead. The lithium batteries may well be fried with their reliance on additional electronics embedded in them, lead acid batteries will still need to be charged, the charging circuitry and solar panels may well be fried too. Not looking good is it?

We won't be sat around TV's and radios waiting for government updates or them telling us what do do either!

So what's the point of my latest waffle?

We saw a little of what humanity can achieve regardless of technology recently. 

We had "clapping" events and other such, all admirable things, all heavily advertised and technology media driven. But, we spoke to our neighbours, for some probably for the first time beyond the polite "Morning" we usually aspire to. We probably spoke to the neighbour of our neighbour, the neighbour across the street and even beyond. We connected....without technology.

If another Carrington event occurs we won't have a choice, the technology may well not be there.

As seen with disaster events around the world people come together, neighbours help each other. We connect and in the human sense not just via wires and radio waves. 

When neighbours have to rely on each other we don't care about their background, their ethnicity, their religious or political beliefs. We don't care about their career and salary, what car they drive or how big their TV is. We won't care if they're a CBer or Ham.

We also won't mind one bit when they hand you a glass of milk to quench your thirst but that they can't spell 'pasteurised' Smile

We reap what we sow.
Perhaps it's worth being pleasant to each other......even if there is no disaster event.

All the best, take care and above all, be nice.
Victor

NUBSTER and Cozzmik like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 44
QTH or Location : NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : ORIGINAL President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 12:41 pm

Victor mate SKY T.V have just contacted me and they want to make  a 10 part series on this post  are you interested LOL 😉😉

GaryWilson, Victor, Cozzmik and saltire like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bean

Times Thanked : 4

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 1:37 pm

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/449593/BIS-15-457-space-weather-preparedness-strategy.pdf
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:39 pm

Hi Martin,

I do love a good old waffle Wink Very Happy

The last posters link to the government document didn't exactly inspire confidence either. The reference to "These impacts are difficult to predict and are best assumptions" really reassured me - not. Look what happened with the Little Barford 10 minute power cut on a Friday afternoon, caused commuter pandemonium for hours! Of course, we've seen the blithering fiasco with current events.

Still, my posting was essentially about being nice to each other. That may well be a harder task than coping with a disaster event Wink

Cheers Martin.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Equipment Used : ORIGINAL President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 6:05 pm

Your waffling skills are becoming legions Vic , you should write a how to waffle book mate LOL
as for being nice to each other I've come to the conclusion it's best to just to treat everyone the same,  hate them all 😉😉 lol

GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Ha! Ha! Ha! Very Happy Very Happy
lol!

You're guaranteed to put a smile on my face or give me a good laugh Martin! Smile

I honestly don't know how anyone could take a disliking to you mate Wink

NUBSTER and GaryWilson like this post

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 6:14 pm

Solar Storms & our Fragile Society We_re_12

GaryWilson, Pagan, Victor and Mitch like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 6:17 pm

I always live by the mantra;

Treat those as you would like to be treated yourself.
If you cant say something decent or nice, think twice before you open your mouth.

Ok..... Doesn't always work but hey I'm not perfect  Shocked

NUBSTER, GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 6:32 pm

lol!

Hiya Graeme,

Your Dad's Army 'doomed' had me wetting myself laughing mate! Very Happy
Loving having a laugh considering the subject of the posting.

You'd think being nice to each other would be an easy task but yep, none of us are perfect. It's what makes the world interesting Wink

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 7:39 pm

Victor wrote:
Ha! Ha! Ha! Very Happy Very Happy
lol!

You're guaranteed to put a smile on my face or give me a good laugh Martin! Smile

I honestly don't know how anyone could take a disliking to you mate Wink
You would be surprised  who  dislikes me 😉

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Victor wrote:
Your Dad's Army 'doomed' had me wetting myself laughing mate! Very Happy

There is a good fix for that Victor --- Tena Ladies - Extra Large  lol!

No No Graeme....Be Nice.. Nice I say... Oh Dear I'm losing it  What a Face

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 9:10 pm

Martin, we can't please everyone can we mate? Wink

.....and we'd be fools to try.

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 9:16 pm

Graeme, isn't laughter one letter short from slaughter? Very Happy
If we can't laugh at ourselves in the company of others then we don't deserve to laugh at all Wink

Gonna have to start a subscription with Tena, you got me at it again!!  lol!

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2020 1:42 pm

So true Victor,
If you can't laugh at yourself for being silly, making mistakes and learning from them then you shouldn't laugh at others for your own amusement.

Well, unless they are standing in front of you wearing extra large Tena Ladies of Course  Razz

All jokes aside, you did raise a very important point in your initial post, putting the world ending scenario aside, these recent unprecedented times have shown me a slightly closer and understanding community where people are willing to to assist folk, especially the older generation that have needed to be extra vigilant.

Well said I might add.

73's

Graeme.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 33
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 1:18 pm

Nice post, Victor.👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 6:25 pm

Cheers John Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solar Storms & our Fragile Society   Solar Storms & our Fragile Society Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solar Storms & our Fragile Society
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: