Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Whos On the Air waves
Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:50 pm by Chefsdead

» What gauge wire
Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:41 pm by Chefsdead

» pro 2042 scanner with mods
Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by rabbi

» First Hf radio
Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:31 am by 26ct954

» 11m conditions
Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:20 am by JerryAlfaBrera

» Introduction (Issued)
Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:34 am by RICHARD PIDCOCK

» New member & call sign request
Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:30 am by StevieG

» New member call sign request.
Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:29 am by StevieG

» Callsign request from Boydo Londonderry (Issued)
Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:28 am by StevieG

Keywords
radio Mckinley call callsign tickets lincoln ss6900n charlie 9900 president midland power frequency alan list antenna yaesu tango supply ss9900 bazooka Mobile sign Sirio division Calling
QRZ Database

Damp RadioShack?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tristar
Contributor
Contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets Pama GT-19

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 9:00 am

Morning Everyone 👍
Just a change in season sort of question to start the day and new month,!

I know like myself that many of us have their radio shack in a garden shed or the conservatory 
of their house which although dry in the summer they can get a little damp in Autumn and winter months. 

So what do you guys do to keep your gear dry and free from harm?

Do you leave your rig in regardes.?

Do you take it out when you have finished and store it in the house..?

Just interested in what you guys do!

All the best. 

John

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 73
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 9:53 am

Hiya John,

What do I do? 
You tell the missus that despite her sewing/crafting/jewellery hobby she never actually uses the spare room and set it up as the new radio shack....... Wink Very Happy

Ha, just kidding. (Although that's exactly what I did!)

Good posting John, look forward to reading the responses.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 10:50 am

Hi John,
First of all, I am lucky enough to have my shack in a partially converted loft area therefore do not have the issue of dampness for my radio gear.

I have however suffered from dampness in the shed and as I use and store other electrical items there, I needed to look at some measures a while back, hopefully my experiences may be of some use.

First of all, I’m assuming your shack is of the wooden variety?

Your are probably aware that wood needs to breath, it absorbs and expels moisture hence the possibility of dampness inside the shed.
The cure is relatively simple believe it or not, allow the wood to breath and provide a source of fresh air.
Now comes the issues, many folk paint their sheds with some form of paint that protects it for years, it shows the water running off and stops it getting into the wood, they lock the shed up tight to stop any water getting in and ruining their hard earned possessions.

Whilst that’s a great idea in principal, any water that does get into the wood usually looks for a way out and this normally shows up as condensation, leading to damp and possibly causing the wood to rot at a later date.
I always found my shed during the day will accumulate heat inside, but with no ventilation the hot air eventually met a colder surface, say the roof surface, walls and started to cool down eventually showing signs of dampness.

A couple of things I tried and that worked for me was to install a couple of small air vents, I used the type with a fine mesh to stop too many creepy crawlies finding a new home.
I also tried using Cat litter in the corner, no I don’t have a cat but it does absorb moisture and could help depending on the severity of your moisture.
At a later date I bought a moisture trap similar to the one in the link attached.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/24573/Mega-Moisture-Trap?gclid=CIPC7azRlcwCFRITGwodA_sDBg&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!97990087349!!!g!43864963085!&ef_id=VmHmLwAABP-EIAwl:20160417120714:s

I also installed a tube heater on a timer to ensure their was a constant heat in the shed, yes that does sound counter intuitive but as the moisture is created with the heat and cold variations, a constant warmth and airflow does help, it also helps that they costs pennies to run.

I eventually changed my shed and now use a preservative instead of paint, this allows the wood to breath inside and out and has reduced many of the issues I had previously.

Hope my ramblings are of some help.

73’s

Graeme.

glenn dog and redsprite like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tristar
Contributor
Contributor
Tristar

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks Graeme. 

Some good advice there!

Funny enough we have just come to a similar conclusion regarding our house. 
It was built in 1906 when there was no double glazing, central heating and roof insulation. 

The more we put modern heat holding and sealing the house from drafts the more, instead of less damp we were getting on the windows etc. 

Until it hit us that the old house needs to breath!

So we have seen our builder to discuss where the best places for ventilation can be put in and he agreed it should help a great deal!

Again the house when built had coal fires which would probably been burning all day through the winter months which would have circulated the air in the entire house. 

So hopefully the same theory goes for the shed!

We can still learn a lot from days gone by!

Thanks again 

John

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 44
QTH or Location : NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : ORIGINAL President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Damp RadioShack? 20200913
Damp RadioShack? 20200914

My shack is a small summer house and me and my sons totally insulated it inside floor to ceiling plus I have a small heater in it plus all the radios get covered up when not in use so far never had any problems.

Sydthecat, John123, Paddy, Sgt Bilko, glenn dog, Victor, Cozzmik and like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 7:43 pm

Sorry, off topic but bursting to say....

Martin, I flipping love your little shack!!! Smile

The Astatic Silver Eagles, the comfortable chair and the Jolly Roger all really make it!

Ahem, anyway. Maybe back on topic....

John, when I did have a radio setup outside I had it all in an old wooden bureau. It stopped any condensation forming on metal cases, prevented dust, (which accelerates dew formation), and I used to throw those little silica sachets in before shutting it up. The missus & daughter's always had tonnes of those silica sachets with all the handbags and shoes they bought! Wink You can also bung those little sachets in the microwave to revive them.

Martin's little shack brought back the memories of when I had my little shed Smile

NUBSTER, glenn dog and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Equipment Used : ORIGINAL President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Thankyou Victor ,I use to have my radios and stuff in one corner of our back dining room for years then one year the Mrs decided that it would be our turn to have all the family for Christmas (Oh bloody joy I thought) anyway it got comenderd back as a proper dining room so I thought I know I'll buy a little summer house at least I can escape out to it away from everyone lol ,and TBH the funny thing is moving my stuff from inside to outside I seem to get slightly less interference.

Paddy and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 8:21 pm

Do love it Martin. I remember seeing a shot of your radios and silver eagles a while back but not in the context shown here.
Proper job too Smile

The only reason I'm in the spare room is after years of waiting for it....kids grow up, move out, move back, out, flipping back again with kids in tow, then out again! I'm hoping now their hitting their 30's I get to keep me room! Wink
(I'd still give it up in a heartbeat if they ever needed help again though.)

Missus has just reminded me....spare room for radio, brick built workshop, 10x8 metal workshop and an attic full of antennas(!)
Shouldn't grumble should I? Very Happy

NUBSTER and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 8:38 pm

I think my Mrs is glad I'm in the garden out of her way lol, yep the same here I thought I was gonna get one of the bedrooms when I was evicted from the dining room but my youngest came back from Uni when he finished he got the bedroom ,the other one is occupied by his older brother, shame they cant both move out like there sister did ,
back on subject my Mrs brought some little box things that you put out to stop condensation they have like little crystals in them that attracts moisture and you change them once a month I'll have to ask her where she got them.
url=https://servimg.com/view/20140802/50]Damp RadioShack? 20200915[/url]

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 33
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 10:12 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
Damp RadioShack? 20200913
Damp RadioShack? 20200914

My shack is a small summer house and me and my sons totally insulated it inside floor to ceiling plus I have a small heater in it plus all the radios get covered up when not in use so far never had any problems.
Great shack, Martin.

NUBSTER, glenn dog, Victor, Squidgy Potato and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tristar
Contributor
Contributor
Tristar

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 10:36 pm

Wow. Thanks all!

And yes what a great shack!

Must start planting the idea of a bigger shak to the wife so I can move all my gear out of her way!😉

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 11:18 pm

Cheers John ,its not big or posh but it does me OK

John123, glenn dog, Squidgy Potato and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 15
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 6:15 am

Tristar wrote:
Must start planting the idea of a bigger shak to the wife so I can move all my gear out of her way!😉

Better idea ! Simply move the wife out into the shed 

Sorted 

Craig 

Ps Nice shack Martin

NUBSTER, John123, GaryWilson, glenn dog, Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 7:49 am

If I put my Mrs in my shack I would still be able hear and see her 😱LOL

Cheers for the complements on the shack Craig 👍

Last edited by NUBSTER on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Sydthecat likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
glenn dog
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : TUUSLA- FINLAND
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 10:15 am

Some very good info from Red Fox, air flow and what you put on the walls and heating are the top things you should know, as i live in Finland, my main home is 100% wood and its a new home with new air flow filter , but even the hold homes, 50 to 100 years old, no damp in them, but our air is more dry over here so that might help.

Glenn
56CT004

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : This n that

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2020 6:02 pm

I have a outside wooden shack and my radios have sat out there year after year with no issues,i found it worse taking it in from a colder shack to a warmer house with condensation occuring inside the front screen so outside it stays..
Ventilation as said is the main thing to consider so a few ventilation louvres have been fitted in my shack.

I did a test a few years ago that was posted here on CT where i put a CB in a fridge overnight and then warmed it up in the house (approx 20c) to see the affects and on opening the covers the circuit board had a light film of condensation.Bit extreme i know but i have opened up my Kenwood after use while in the shack and the board has been fine..turning on and using generates little heat so no issues.

NUBSTER, glenn dog, Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 33
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 1:25 pm

Sydthecat wrote:
Tristar wrote:

Better idea ! Simply move the wife out into the shed 

Sorted 

Craig 

Ps Nice shack Martin
You cannot beat practical, no nonsense, Yorkshire advice, Craig.🤣

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tristar
Contributor
Contributor
Tristar

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 10:06 pm

😂 haha!
Wife n the shack? 

Possible. That would keep me warm but not sure how that helps the cbs?
I’ll have to give that one some thought!🤔🤭

Being a Yorkshireman myself I can see the sense of the suggestion. 
But the wife is Welsh!
I’m not sure I’d like the consequences!😱😂

🤷‍�🤷‍�🤷‍�

John123, GaryWilson and glenn dog like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
glenn dog
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : TUUSLA- FINLAND
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 1:54 pm

Finnish wife in the shack, no thanks, she tends to notice my radio set up tends to get larger and even notice if i go from green to blue on the display leds on the rigs   

lol!

John123, Cozzmik and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tristar
Contributor
Contributor
Tristar

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 8:54 am

Have to agree with Glenn dog on that. 

If you let them look around the shack and other hobby/stash areas they
ask all sorts of awkward questions that should be avoided where possible. 

I’m still trying to get a new system of getting things in the house now she works from home!!😃

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
karelgol
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Magnum 257HP,Superstar 2000, President Bill Asc, AMP-150, Antron A99, Emperor LA-50

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 10:20 am

I don't have damp problems, using the dinner table. But wanted to share what my son does. He is rebuilding the house of my late mother in law which has a small brick shed next to it (no insulation, single glass), with a lot of condensation. This is his radio shack to be. He's going to insulate it and has made some underground insulated tubing from the house to the shack which will connect to a central heating radiator. I think this will work, cause such a radiator gives a very dry kind of heat.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tristar
Contributor
Contributor
Tristar

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 11:13 am

That sounds a good idea. 🤗
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Damp RadioShack? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damp RadioShack?   Damp RadioShack? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Damp RadioShack?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: