Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Keywords
list radio sign ALINCO frequency 9900 bazooka ss9900 callsign Baofeng ss6900n Mobile lincoln power chart Sirio division midland antenna Calling Mckinley yaesu alan tickets president call
QRZ Database

Khz slide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
W7AM

Call Sign : 108-CT-281
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Invergordon
Equipment Used : Ham International Multimode 2

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi could any one give me any help on how to reset Khz slider on a ham international multimode 2 which has gone up 2 Khz of frequency now it sits at the 2 o'clock when on frequency with the result now it goes down 7 Khz and up 3 Khz is their anyway it can be reset , any help would be great , many thanks ......

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 7:18 am

Hi Angus,

Let's see if we can help you.....

Lot of questions now, none of them designed to 'catch you out' but rather get to the bottom of things for you Smile

When you say the 'khz slide' are you talking about the Clarify control? (I presume you are judging by your later "2 o'clock" reference later.)

You say that it is now 2khz off frequency. How are you measuring this frequency offset?

Also, how are you measuring that it is 7khz down and 3khz up?

Does this affect both controls? RX/TX, just RX or both?

When you say 'reset' I presume you mean realignment? (Modern microprocessor radios usually have reset or programmable offset controls but older radios require realignment.)

Then there's the questions of how did this happen....

Has the radio suddenly started doing this or was it like it from the start? 

Does it get any better or worse the longer the radio is powered up or always stays that way?

Do the control knobs sit in the usual way, i.e. run from approx 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock? 

I know, loads of questions but I don't have the radio in front of me Wink

The reason for the frequency measurement questions is to ascertain whether you are using a laboratory grade frequency counter to measure this. If you are relying on someone else's report of "you're off frequency", how do you truly know they are actually on frequency? If it is a report, does this include UK and Mid/EU frequencies, (only because some UK add on boards don't always allow for the offset). If you have a non-lab counter they are seldom very accurate.

Good luck if you're relying on what you receive in general, I've seldom come across a signal on the '555' where they were bang on frequency...but I never worry about it as I can often tune in or clarify them.

If it's always been like that and never moves or drifts, for me personally I'd live with it.

If it's suddenly started doing it, gets worse, or just really bugs you then it needs servicing/aligning.

If you're an electronics whizz there are plenty of diagrams, alignment procedures, etc. on the internet today to make this job a breeze. (You needed a ton of hardcopy printed manuals pre-internet!)

If not then you're going to have to do find someone to do it for you.
(Just don't ask me. I wouldn't touch someone else's radio with a bargepole nowadays, not worth the hassle Wink)

Hope that helps even if only a little bit. Hopefully anyone else reading this or an internet trawling search robot comes across it then they might be helped too Smile

Lot of waffle I know, but could had responded with the "It needs fixing" reply....and that doesn't help many really.

All the best,
Victor

NUBSTER, W7AM and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 163-CT-220
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Holyhead
Equipment Used : Rci 2950dx ,,,Yaesu FT-450D

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 9:07 am

Victor is 100% correct as normal.
You can't just stab it with a screwdriver.
Also i would like to know how you tested it ?.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 10:28 am

Hi Alan, I'm never always 100% and pretty far off 'normal' Wink Very Happy

Just be nice to get to the bottom of it for Angus and help the guy out.

You know how it is, most new radios have 'frequency displays' rather than frequency counters and no better than a channel display for feedback. Yet operators insist on using them to tell you you're off frequency!?! 

You're right mate, bit more involved than a stab of the old screwdriver Wink

W7AM likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Bilko
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : Amstrad 901

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi Victor and Alan. I think he means the KC shift. On the Multimode 2 it's marked as Clarifier TX / RX.

The part he will be on about is the TX. Usually that can shift the TX frequency up or down 5khz from the 12 o'clock position. Older radio's as you guys will know have usually been around the block and in the case of a Multimode 2 that's the best part of 40 years. I'll take a stab in the dark and say that more than a few operators have been inside with a hammer and chisel.

Best bet would be to contact Nick Love - Black Spirit. He's not on CT but you will find him on Transmission1. Send him a PM and he'll sort it out. And he's very reasonable.

Paul

Victor and W7AM like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
W7AM

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi all you guys for your reply's and I am doing my best to take it all in , and as far as the questions go I will try my best to come on them , and as Paul pointed out it is the TX frequency up and down 5Khz from the 12 o'clock that is the problem it now sits on 2 o'clock , and i will point out that i have owned the radio from 1979 new , when i used the radio for the first 5 or 6 years the TX was always at 12 o'clock , the radio has been stored in my house for some years in its box , and its never been tampered with , now that i am using it again the TX is always at 2 o'clock , I have spoke a lot of people and worked with the Khz and its always 2 o'clock if they go up 5Khz i cant receive them but if they go down 5Khz i can receive them that 9 o'clock , I hope this answers the questions guys ,

Many thanks to Victor , Alan and Paul ..

Sgt Bilko and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 10:24 pm

Hi Angus,

Cheers for the feedback, it's always presumptuous but most of these radios have been 'round the block'. You're a lucky man to have had one from new! Smile

It's not unusual either to have had a local 'screwdriver expert' tune everyone's radio to theirs making everyone off frequency. Don't laugh, I've seen it first hand! Then multiple people swear blind you're off frequency Wink Never helps.

It's obvious that something has gone on since you last powered it up, I have seen a VCO cap shift value over time. (Ceramic capacitors can shift a picofarad or two with hot/cold cycles over time.) If that's all that's wrong then it's done really well.

If you know someone with an accurate and calibrated, (or GPS disciplined), frequency counter it'd be easy to check out. I'd only think a service guy or maybe radio Ham would have such equipment and if you knew such a person I'm sure they would've offered or you'd have asked already.

Paul's suggestion of contacting Nick - Black Spirit seems the obvious choice. I don't personally know him or his work but I do keep seeing his name suggested so he must come recommended. Considering how long you've had the radio, if it's never had a service it would be well to treat the old girl to one Smile

Don't think I've ever heard of anyone with such a rig from new AND be it's only owner! You lucky, lucky man Smile

There's some really helpful people here on Charlie Tango, always brings me a smile.

All the very best to you and best of luck,
Victor

W7AM likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Bilko
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Sgt Bilko

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 7:47 am

Morning guys. My mate has a Multimode 3 from new and came back on a few years ago after i met him locally. I told him it was getting busy again on cb so he dug out his radio. Like your's Angus it needed some work. I sent it down to Nick, he worked his magic and my mate is now back on air and making contacts as far as conditions will allow. It sounds like the radio needs a good service as Victor says. Then the radio may survive another 40 years.

Paul.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
W7AM

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 11:22 pm

Hi all you guys that replied me and the advice you all gave I will look in to it and see what I can get done , I will post the result when I get ,
Many thanks to you all ,

73s

Sgt Bilko and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Bilko
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Sgt Bilko

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Obviously not enough help on CT. 

https://www.transmission1.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&p=532404#p532404

Paul.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 5:09 pm

Covering bases and working the law of averages Wink

Sgt Bilko likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : original President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 5:50 pm

Paul he may have joined TM to get in contact with Nick but the thing is I think if I remember correctly on there ( being member too on there) you have to have 30 post before you can use the P.M system so he can use it to get in contact with Nick so I hope he has alot of questions to ask lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Bilko
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Sgt Bilko

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 8:20 pm

Hi Martin. He joined there in mid July and this was his first post.
He has went back on TM1 saying he wants a second opinion. But each to their own as they say.
Hope you're well and safe Martin. All the best.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W7AM

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi just trying to keep my opp-tunes open but if you need 30 posts as Paul says ill just forget the TM one you learn something every day ,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : original President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

Khz slide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khz slide    Khz slide  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 9:11 pm

Hello Paul mate, not to bad down here in London concerning the situation of the country ATM,
@Angus it maybe not 30 post I cant remember TBH, I haven't been able to log in the site for a long while for some reason dont why ,but anyway I do know you have to post so many to be able to use the P.M system also to put stuff up for sale ,it was to stop people just joining to sell stuff instead of them selling on ebay,they had a big problem with it a few years back plus I  think someone caused some trouble to do with P.M service or something so that's why they did the rules on how many post.
Theres only one thing if you want someone to retune /service  your radio you may have to put up with TM rule to get in contact with Black Spirit (Nick) or Cubwolf (Dave) because they dont come on this forum and TBH there is not many if any rig docs out there now especially ones who have knowledge of the old school radios like these two do .
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Khz slide
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Multimode, Export and Sideband Radio-
Jump to: