Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
UK Amateur Radio Licences
Topic Started: Thursday, 9. August 2018, 10:22 (213 Views)
Starship
Member Avatar

n response to a Freedom of Information Request the communications regulator Ofcom has confirmed the total number of UK licensed amateurs.
Stewart Baker G3RXQ had asked Ofcom "From data held on Amateur Radio Licenses, please furnish the following information: -
"The total number of individuals holding one or more current UK Amateur Radio Licenses as of 1/4/2018."
Ofcom's response...
Dear Stewart Baker,
Freedom of Information: Right to know request.
Thank you for your request for information where you asked about Amateur Radio License statistics. This was received by Ofcom on 5 April 2018 and it has been considered under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Ofcom can confirm that the total number of individuals holding one or more current UK Amateur Radio Licenses is 9971.
PEACE AND LONG LIFE
ITS NOT THE LEVEL OF LICENCE THAT A AMATEUR HOLDS,
BUT THE LEVEL OF AMATEUR THAT HOLDS THE LICENCE.

26CT695

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

26DA75
Member Avatar

Interesting, I guess thats roughly 1 in 7000 UK residents holds a current licence then. I suppose the really interesting question would be what percentage of the 9971 are active on one ore more band regularly?

I'd also be interested to know how many are RSGB members?

73, Tom.
Call CQ Because on radio nobody can hear you listening!!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Starship
Member Avatar

Last time I heard the RSGB had about 23,000+ members.
the number of 9971 licences are those that hold more than 1 callsign.

FL who have moved up the ladder but still hold there M3/M6 calls.
INTERMEDIATE who have moved up but still retain org call.
then Full calls that hold club or contests one as well.
confused simples!

cheers,
mark.
PEACE AND LONG LIFE

26CT695

26DA75
Member Avatar

"Confused". Yes, just a little. If the the total number of individuals holding one or more licence is 9971 then the RSGB has more non licenced members than ones with a licence! = 13000 people who can't use the amateur bands are paying members of an institution that exists solely to represent the radio hobby in the UK (Disclaimer not in the opinion of everyone I know! ) I'm afraid I can't see how both these figures can be right, one or the other surely must be wrong?

73, Tom

vendee85
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2201

Hi. Tom.

Don't forget the SWL's they are also members. I quite often SWL. I've been listening all afternoon on 80
3.742 Royal Signal net. 73s Mike.

Miko
No Avatar

Figures quite surprised me, 9971 seemed low but as for the rsgb there are also very many licensed amateurs that are not members, self included. I've been licensed over 30 years and have never been a member and never will be.

26DA75
Member Avatar

vendee85
Thursday, 9. August 2018, 15:52
Hi. Tom.

Don't forget the SWL's they are also members. I quite often SWL. I've been listening all afternoon on 80
3.742 Royal Signal net. 73s Mike.
With the best will in the world Mike I'd be rather surprised if the RSGB's membership was comprised of an army of 13000+ SWL's. the majority of licenced hams I know aren't RSGB members so the lightly-hood that the numbers quoted above are both correct seam remote.

73, Tom

Starship
Member Avatar

Miko
Thursday, 9. August 2018, 18:49
Figures quite surprised me, 9971 seemed low but as for the rsgb there are also very many licensed amateurs that are not members, self included. I've been licensed over 30 years and have never been a member and never will be.
Hello Mike,
long time since our last natter, hope for another when 40 picks up.
mark

PEACE AND LONG LIFE

26CT695

Padrick
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2727

Hi Mark, what does this mean from your other post?

could you please give me the current numbers of licensed Amateur Radio operators for each callsign type please."
Ofcom's response was that on July 5, 2018 the UK had a total of 87,983 live amateur radio callsigns.
26CT2727 & 2E0TWD
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0TWD

Starship
Member Avatar

Padrick
Friday, 10. August 2018, 04:38
Hi Mark, what does this mean from your other post?

could you please give me the current numbers of licensed Amateur Radio operators for each callsign type please."
Ofcom's response was that on July 5, 2018 the UK had a total of 87,983 live amateur radio callsigns.
hello Patrick,

that was the wording used by the respective applicant under the FOI act for the information. asked for from Ofcom. hence number 80,000+ callsigns held in each level.
And the follow on one is the same but asks the number of licenses that hold more than 1 callsign hence the 9,000+.

hope that helps.
I understand it!
lol...
mark.
PEACE AND LONG LIFE

26CT695

razor36
Member Avatar

i still have all 3 licences, i worked hard and paid for them so plan on keeping all 3. sorry if it ties up 2 old call signs but thats just the way it goes.
Edited by razor36, Friday, 10. August 2018, 09:29.
M0LSG

Starship
Member Avatar

razor36
Friday, 10. August 2018, 09:26
i still have all 3 licences, i worked hard and paid for them so plan on keeping all 3. sorry if it ties up 2 old call signs but thats just the way it goes.
that's great
I see no problem with that as do 9,000 plus.

good indication of what that level of growth in amateur radio which is good yeah.

radio is fun hobby, even in this day of P.C and mobiles.
mark
PEACE AND LONG LIFE

26CT695

razor36
Member Avatar

in the 4 years or so ive been on here, i have passed all 3 exams and also seen quite a number of members also pass exams and this is only 1 site so there is still a general interest in our great hobby.
M0LSG

Padrick
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2727

Oh So the 9000+ figure are those holding more than one. And the 87000+ is the number of hams in the U.K.
26CT2727 & 2E0TWD
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0TWD

Starship
Member Avatar

Padrick
Saturday, 11. August 2018, 06:58
Oh So the 9000+ figure are those holding more than one. And the 87000+ is the number of hams in the U.K.
Spot on Patrick.
PEACE AND LONG LIFE

26CT695

Starship
Member Avatar

Padrick
Saturday, 11. August 2018, 06:58
Spot on Patrick.

it can look confusing but when you speak RSGB and Ofcom it makes sense
PEACE AND LONG LIFE

26CT695

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Amateur Radio (Public) Forums · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com