Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
50 Ohm Dummy Load DIY
Topic Started: Wednesday, 2. May 2018, 11:31 (233 Views)
Speidy
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2192

Afternoon all. Some advice needed please. I have made a dummy load from stuff laying around at work. I will attach a photo later when I get home if need be. I have 2x 48 ohm resistors in series and have another pair the same so they should total 96ohm each pair. Have wired them in parallel to a pl259 and now have 48 ohms at the plug which is what I want. However, when I use the dummy load on the SWR meter it reads 3:1. Have used it on all 3 of my meters and they all read roughly the same. The resistors are low wattage each so that's why I doubled them up.
I know I can buy a dummy load for not too much money but I thought I would have a go at making one and I'm just intrigued as to why this one doesn't work properly.
Many thanks as always.
Gary.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ste
No Avatar

unless the resistors are carbon film or carbon composite then they will look like inductors at radio frequency dure to the way they are constructed. this will be causing the SWR to be out even though they measure correctly at DC

Im intending to use 20 of these in parallel

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/7078861/

Speidy
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2192

Cool. Thanks for that. Just couldn't work it out.
Regards.

Ste
No Avatar

Speidy
Wednesday, 2. May 2018, 15:11
Cool. Thanks for that. Just couldn't work it out.
Regards.
practical constructional article here

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Practical/Wireless/80s/PW%201983%2001.pdf

Ste
No Avatar

et voila. knocked this together last night. just need a golden syrup tin now.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: dummy_load_1.jpg (92.25 KB)
Attachments: dummy_load_2.jpg (86.6 KB)
Attachments: dummy_load_3.jpg (105.66 KB)

Speidy
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2192

That's a thing of beauty.

AlphaPapa
No Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2966

Is that 20 x 1k resistors in parallel ? Whatever it is it looks very neat.

AlphaPapa
No Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2966

In a pinch you could use a ctx special https://youtu.be/u0qfSMWyjaw

Roy2812
Member Avatar
26 charlie Tango 2812
Ste
Thursday, 10. May 2018, 08:03
I made this just after Fred's design was first published. Mine has the red LED in the lid to indicate power applied and used two brass discs drilled in line with resistors between them. I went on to build his ZL special two metre beam and the Slim Jim also for two metres. (From the articles in the original Out Of Thin Air). I greatly admired his simplicity of design and still going well today. Rated at 50watts continuous, 100watts (5 minutes) 200watts 2 minutes. Whole assembly is completely covered with silica sand when upright and is sealed in a 1lb Lyle's Golden Syrup tin with lid soldered securely on. I wish that I had actually painted the tin before use and not used (now scruffy) white stick on labels to indicate the ratings of the unit. One of those "Get around to it eventually) projects.

Ste
No Avatar

Roy2812
Thursday, 10. May 2018, 16:24
Ste
Thursday, 10. May 2018, 08:03
I made this just after Fred's design was first published. Mine has the red LED in the lid to indicate power applied and used two brass discs drilled in line with resistors between them. I went on to build his ZL special two metre beam and the Slim Jim also for two metres. (From the articles in the original Out Of Thin Air). I greatly admired his simplicity of design and still going well today. Rated at 50watts continuous, 100watts (5 minutes) 200watts 2 minutes. Whole assembly is completely covered with silica sand when upright and is sealed in a 1lb Lyle's Golden Syrup tin with lid soldered securely on. I wish that I had actually painted the tin before use and not used (now scruffy) white stick on labels to indicate the ratings of the unit. One of those "Get around to it eventually) projects.
Nice one Roy. Yes he did some nice Antenna designs. Im going to have another go at the 144Mhz Ring Base antenna, Annoyingly I still had the base of one I made years ago until the last garage clearout. Bought a tin of syrup last night, so Its flapjacks galore until its gone haha

Roy2812
Member Avatar
26 charlie Tango 2812
My syrup tin must be collectable as its so old it has the weight stated in lbs.

Ste
No Avatar

Roy2812
Friday, 11. May 2018, 13:15
My syrup tin must be collectable as its so old it has the weight stated in lbs.
currently batch making flapjacks

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Any Other Radio Equipment · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com