Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
FT 891 Power Output adjust.
Topic Started: Tuesday, 17. April 2018, 11:28 (459 Views)
vendee85
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2201

Hi. Craig. :rock:

Finally sussed how to adjust the power output on my FT891. I changed the Rigs meter to PO & set my W.meter
to SWR which is 1.05 to 1 on all 11m modes. Then I closed all outputs to their lowest levels i.e. HF ssb/HF am/
50m. am/ssb. They all went to 0. Only FM went down to 5w. Then I started increasing FM slowly to 100 whilst
watching the meter it was working so I reduced it back to 5w. Then I adjusted HF Power & SSB the same result
It seems HF power has control over all parameters. So I've now left the rig @ FM-5w. HF-ssb -20w. HF -power-
100w. I don't use FM very often now. I can increase HF ssb between 0 - 100w. The manual wasn't very clear on
this situation. So if anyone has similar problems it's on here. 73s 51s Mike 2201 Yeovil.
p.s. I'm still getting my head round these menu rigs. Give me separate's & Valves any day. :bash:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SydtheCat
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 483

Nice one Micheal :thumb: yes the HF SSB menu is the one key one . The 891 is a cracking radio and real bargain atm

I have some EQ audio settings if you would like them ? The default audio is a tad flat and a bit dull

Also for SSB run with a bit of comp on and change the mic gain to 60

:cheers: Craig

Posted Image

Yaesu FTdx 3000 - Sirio GM - MD 200 mic

vendee85
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2201

Hi. Craig.

Thanks for the info. I will put the Mic gain up next time I use it i.e. Tomorrow on the DR/MWN's. I'll leave the
EQ till I get used to menu's. 1 step @ a time. Looking forward to working back to UK. from SW 14 in June and
the Pyrenees in Sept. I've been putting my Hygain AV18 together this afternoon. 80/10 & only 2ft off the ground
I'll be taking it & 11m wire dipole to 14.div. 73s Mike Yeovil.

roundtower
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2817

Do any of you chaps use the 891 much on FM? Everyone raves about the SSB performance so unless someone says "the FM is miles better on the 857" or something similar I will be parting with some cash in the near future.
-------------------
TC62 26CT2817
CRT SS7900 Harvard H-404 Uniden 400 Icom ICR-75 Amstrad CB901 President Grant Baofeng UV-5R KW Electronics KW202

vendee85
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2201

Hi. Stu.

Only just seen your post. Been out in my car mobile playing with my 891. You have to press the F button for
2 sec's Then with the bottom Knob[Multi -Function] scroll round to 09-02 for FM power. Then push the button
in. 09-02 bar will go black then turn the MF knob to adjust. BUT A word of warning. You have to have the HF
power above the FM level you require. Do this by turning the MF knob to 16-03 for HF power. I always leave
this MAX. & adjust the outputs for your relevant modes. Hope this help's. 73s Mike.

roundtower
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2817

Thanks Mike and good to finally make a QSO last night. I think I am going to end up with an 891 having read the manuals and more reviews, just a question of when.
-------------------
TC62 26CT2817
CRT SS7900 Harvard H-404 Uniden 400 Icom ICR-75 Amstrad CB901 President Grant Baofeng UV-5R KW Electronics KW202

vendee85
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2201

Hi. Stu.

It was a pleasure making contact with you although conditions weren't good. You wont regret getting a 891
for mobile. But I think my 450 has the edge on it Homebased. I'll send u detail's in a pm about my 891/450
capabilities not allowed to post about over band's on CT. 73s Mike.

Smudger
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1938

Does anyone know if the 891 stores the input power from mode too mode. Ie you set 10 watts on USB. Later on in day worked some FM and set power to 5watts. Does it hold the last power setting you used on that mode. ie when you changed back too usb your radio is already set too 10watts ? The 991 does which i like.
CT1938 / FOX INDIA 420

vendee85
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2201

Hi. Richard.

I leave my 891's. HF power on !00w. then vary the FM/SSB powers accordingly. @ present my FM mode is
on 10w. & 50w. on SSB. I sometimes vary the FM/SSB Output during a net. Depending on condition's. I
Always try & use the lowest power possible. I'm patiently waiting for the next High. 73s Mike 2201 SW.
P.S. Yes it does hold the power setting.

Smudger
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1938

vendee85
Saturday, 7. July 2018, 11:36
Hi. Richard.

P.S. Yes it does hold the power setting.
Cheers for that i was hoping thats the case.
CT1938 / FOX INDIA 420

TimH1971
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2116

Looking at one of these too. Only thing holding me back is the 2/70 on 857d. Otherwise I'd get one. Not heard a bad word about them.

vendee85
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2201

Hi. Tim.

I was going to send u a reply @ 9.30. But My Comp. decided to go QRT permanently. So I've had to clean all the pet/Flower
ads on the XYL's just to get to the screen. HiHi.
I Find the 891 a good little rig especially for Mobile. The only downside I've found as with all Modern Menu Rigs is the High
Current Draw i.e. 18A @ 100w. If I run it @100w. my ex VolvoT5 80AHR is flat in 1.5hrs. I know use a 12v HGV 135AH in
parallel with it. As I cant run off my car it's a Disabled Pug 1007 everything is Electric i.e. Steering/Gearbox/Clutch/Doors etc.
I'm thinking about getting a Battery Booster from Nevada. they claim it will give off 13.8v. even if the supply drops to 10v.
I did think about a Switching Relay from the Pug but it has a Smart Alternator. My 450 which is H/B draws 22A @100w. via
a Nevada 30A Linear supply. p.s. The 450 has a slight edge over the 891 in performance & facilities. I bought both my rigs
from Radioworld. They do a good deal & wideband free of charge. Both my rigs run from 1.8 to 54megs with no gaps.
Hope this helps u with your decision. 73s Mike 2201 SW.

TimH1971
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2116

Thanks mike and good luck with the battery options

Smudger
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1938

vendee85
Sunday, 8. July 2018, 13:58
Hi. Tim.

I was going to send u a reply @ 9.30. But My Comp. decided to go QRT permanently. So I've had to clean all the pet/Flower
ads on the XYL's just to get to the screen. HiHi.
I Find the 891 a good little rig especially for Mobile. The only downside I've found as with all Modern Menu Rigs is the High
Current Draw i.e. 18A @ 100w. If I run it @100w. my ex VolvoT5 80AHR is flat in 1.5hrs. I know use a 12v HGV 135AH in
parallel with it. As I cant run off my car it's a Disabled Pug 1007 everything is Electric i.e. Steering/Gearbox/Clutch/Doors etc.
I'm thinking about getting a Battery Booster from Nevada. they claim it will give off 13.8v. even if the supply drops to 10v.
I did think about a Switching Relay from the Pug but it has a Smart Alternator. My 450 which is H/B draws 22A @100w. via
a Nevada 30A Linear supply. p.s. The 450 has a slight edge over the 891 in performance & facilities. I bought both my rigs
from Radioworld. They do a good deal & wideband free of charge. Both my rigs run from 1.8 to 54megs with no gaps.
Hope this helps u with your decision. 73s Mike 2201 SW.
Hope its a good one as im moving on my 480Sat tomorrow which i absolutely love for its front controls and never having to delve into a menu. So im still a bit hit and miss as to if im going to like the 891. Can you remember what the smallest step is you can setup on the multi ? Im reading the book and seeing 50KC on SSB and also you cant easily press a button to go from USB to LSB. Have you encountered that at all
Edited by Smudger, Sunday, 8. July 2018, 21:31.
CT1938 / FOX INDIA 420

vendee85
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2201

Hi. Richard.

I was just going to Qrt & saw your post. Craig [Sydthecat} has had a 891 longer than me. The default settings are SSB/AM 10hz
CW 5hz. FM 100hz. You can change the settings in Menu 14-02 & 14-05. The 891 wont do Usb/Lsb like my 450. It selects the
mode for the appropriate Ham band. I've tried it on 40/80. & it will only do Usb on 11m. Hope this helps. 73s Mike SW.

roundtower
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2817

vendee85
Sunday, 8. July 2018, 21:58
The 891 wont do Usb/Lsb like my 450. It selects the mode for the appropriate Ham band. I've tried it on 40/80. & it will only do Usb on 11m. Hope this helps. 73s Mike SW.
It can be made to do LSB on 11m by saving a freq in the memory as LSB, but when you revert to VFO if flips back to USB. Im still buying one but the workarounds needed to drive it make me think Yaesu has designed a good radio and forgotten the user interface.
-------------------
TC62 26CT2817

SydtheCat
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 483

Hi Richard

I am not near my 891 ATM but will check that mode selection problem out , fairly sure it's straight forward after the last firmware update ( think there has been at least two )

Having owened a 450 for a number of years I find the 891 a far better rig for mobile / portable use

The dsp and NB actually work on the 891 but as others have mentioned it is very much menu driven , but once set up its very rare I go into the full menu mode

Craig
Edited by SydtheCat, Today, 4:23 PM.
Posted Image

Yaesu FTdx 3000 - Sirio GM - MD 200 mic

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · HF Radios (0-50mhz) Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, Baeofeng, TYT, Motorola · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com