Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Antron A99 Antenna; Owners thoughts on reliability
Topic Started: Sunday, 15. April 2018, 16:32 (269 Views)
bicyclos
Member Avatar

Hi there
My homebase antenna (Gainmaster) has developed a 9" crack on the base section to which I am not surprised as all the local ops around where I live who have had a gainmaster have succumbed to failure on either of the sections. I have dismantled, cleaned and put it back in the box for repair at a later date. Unfortunately you cannot purchase the base section and I do not want to purchase the same antenna and have the same problem after 3 years.

I have been trolling the net for a replacement antenna and I am thinking about buying an Antron A99. I was wondering if any members on here who have purchased the antenna can give me their opinions and experience regards reliability, strengths and weaknesses. I have looked at a number of different antennae and the Antron seems to be what I would like to purchase next.

Regards

May the propergation be with you
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cozzmik
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 465

I use a Vector 4000 now but i had my a99 approx 6 years and its been thru a couple of 80mph gusts here with no issues unlike my Vector 4000 which has been bent and taken down twice to straighten and a previous 1/2w gpa which bent double....

My a99 didnt bring in any noise here at my qth at 68m asl in open countryside and rx and tx just a little lower than my 7/8 w Vector but my a99 is varnished to stop crazing/cracking of the fibreglass and while tacky was wrapped with green (my preference) phase/electrical tape on each section allowing for each section to unscrew.I cant fault it and while my a99 is used for hill topping nowadays the plug and play ability are its strengths.

Some will be along to say they have had noise issues or they dont get out as well as other 1/2w but i can say mine has been a decent antenna and i would buy another and comparing it with a t2lt,gpa 1/2w it does just fine....

but i get zero noise on any antenna i use here so i guess i maybe lucky :thumbs:

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SydtheCat
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 483

Hi Leon

The Antron 99 is totally bomb proof and works surprisingly well on a good number of bands

Will be around 1 S point down compared with your GM on groundwave and just a smidge more noise

Will work Dx about the same as a GM

All for a bargain price of 60 ish , what's not to like :thumb:

Craig
Posted Image

Yaesu FTdx 3000 - Sirio GM - MD 200 mic

Mudslinger
Member Avatar

An Imax might be a better choice, otherwise you are taking a step backwards in terms of performance.

Personally I think the A99 is very average.
Edited by Mudslinger, Sunday, 15. April 2018, 19:36.

sickboy
No Avatar

I had an A99 with no problems, but upgraded to a 30+ year old Shakespeare Army Big Stick.
Shakespeare made antennas for the all branches of military. Their antennas had to survive warzones and being on masts in battleships etc. Like I said, mine is over 30 years old and still in perfect condition. It's just a pity they're not being made any more.

Nik Gnashers
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 573

A99 as already said, bomb-proof.
If your looking for maximum stick it up and forget about it, then the A99 is the one.
If your looking for the same performance, as your gainmaster though, you should look at the iMax2000 (actually called the MAX2000 now).
It is almost as strong as the A99, but works on 15m perfectly without a tuner (it's a perfect half-wave on 15m), and covers the whole band.
Mine works as well as my old gainmaster on 11m, also no tuner needed until about 28.700, although it needs tuning on 12m, but does work v well on there too.
Needs tuning on 17m but works well, and some say it will tune on 20m too, but I use my wire on 20/40 .
A99 as far as I know, doesn't work on 15m.
The MAX2000 will be better than the A99 by 1 or 2 S points on both TX and RX, not amazing, but with weak stations it could mean the difference between having a QSO and not even hearing them (or them hearing you).....
M6GFT ::: QRZ Page- http://www.qrz.com/db/M6GFT
[imgw=150]http://i.imgur.com/RJjZCOw.jpg[/imgw]
All CT members are expected to use good operating procedure, good manners, and be friendly...Please do not chat on any calling frequencies, or use bad language on air, thank you it is appreciated.

SydtheCat
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 483

Better than average reviews can be found here

https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1233

When I used my Antron on 17m it didn't need an ATU

Craig
Posted Image

Yaesu FTdx 3000 - Sirio GM - MD 200 mic

Smudger
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1938

Cozzmik
Sunday, 15. April 2018, 17:38
I use a Vector 4000 now but i had my a99 approx 6 years and its been thru a couple of 80mph gusts here with no issues unlike my Vector 4000 which has been bent and taken down twice to straighten and a previous 1/2w gpa which bent double....

My a99 didnt bring in any noise here at my qth at 68m asl in open countryside and rx and tx just a little lower than my 7/8 w Vector but my a99 is varnished to stop crazing/cracking of the fibreglass and while tacky was wrapped with green (my preference) phase/electrical tape on each section allowing for each section to unscrew.I cant fault it and while my a99 is used for hill topping nowadays the plug and play ability are its strengths.

Some will be along to say they have had noise issues or they dont get out as well as other 1/2w but i can say mine has been a decent antenna and i would buy another and comparing it with a t2lt,gpa 1/2w it does just fine....

but i get zero noise on any antenna i use here so i guess i maybe lucky :thumbs:
Ill go with what sam has said, i use an A99 that was old when i got it for the nets every week and mostly at weekends, it seems to be bombproof. It gets taken down and put up at least once a week and then thrown back in the car with dogs and all. I dont get any noise when out static mobile and gave up taking the gainmaster because i never ever did see any signal meter difference comparing the two on groundwave contacts. The best i ever had was a slight lift on incoming radio reports. Homebase with noise might be a different matter. 100% T2Lt at home with noise myself. I do like the simplicity and where the max200 tunes buts its just a bit too long to keep in the car, or i think i would have one of those. My gainmaster is also cracked but then again from the the get go i could see it wasnt the right thing for static mobile. Will strip it and use it T2LT fashion when i can be bothered maybe.
CT1938 / FOX INDIA 420

Cozzmik
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 465

Nik Gnashers
Sunday, 15. April 2018, 20:48

A99 as far as I know, doesn't work on 15m.
The MAX2000 will be better than the A99 by 1 or 2 S points on both TX and RX, not amazing, but with weak stations it could mean the difference between having a QSO and not even hearing them (or them hearing you).....
Works fine on 15m thru the Yaesu and Kenwood radio inbuilt tuner infact also tunes on 20m via Kenwood inbuilt tuner..... i had a air choke just under the 30ft scaffold pole it was bolted to so while this may make no difference it certainly tunes ok...

I have used the a99 on a few freeband/ec freqs where it tuned fine on 21/16/14 metres and worked eu and states...... :thumbs:

Edited by Cozzmik, Monday, 16. April 2018, 09:10.

26DA75
Member Avatar

The Antron isn't a bad antenna and I have one bought and used for a long time when I got back into radio but personally I'd advise you go for the IMAX 2000 over an Antron.

Mine has served me well for more than two years so far built like a battleship compared to a Gainmaster and goes up and down out portable twice a week and more without issue and as said above it works well on many bands. I was given a 5/8 Gainmaster last year and have tried it out on 11m in the same location using the same equipment on a number of occasions and to be fair I can see no difference in performance between Gainmaster and IMAX on 11m

The real difference/advantage with the IMAX is it works well on other bands as well. I've done some great DXing using the IMAX. I worked a guy in Chile on mine a few weeks ago on 15m and it tunes up on 17m well enough for me to work Venezuela on it last year. It also tunes up on 20m but I use an OCF Dipole for 20/40/80m so wouldn't know how efficiant it is that far down.

You should also be able to fiberglass repair your Gainmaster base section or as Richard suggested saw off the tube and run it up fishing pole like a T2LT to take out portable.

73, Tom.

(PS) Its awhile since Mr Craig bought an A99 cos the cheepest I can find one for is 80.00 on Ebay same seller does the MAX 2000 for 120. to be fair I think the IMAX is still better value over all.
Edited by 26DA75, Monday, 16. April 2018, 18:06.

Yagi 3
Member Avatar

The Antron is the xr3i of twigs lol, every one moans and n groans about them but they work well, easy on the eye etc. Very versatile value for money antenna. Take some killing. :thumb:

Posted Image

bicyclos
Member Avatar

Many, many thanks for the replies and comments regarding the A99 antenna and an alternative to the above. I have mused over your comments, suggestions and experiences to which I am great full plus I had a good browse on youtube and eHam website and I decided to purchase an A99 antenna.

Previous to the GM I had a Thunderpole 5 antenna which I found it a half decent twig until it snapped on the top section and it didn't dominate the skyline. The GM was a bit in your face especially when cranked up on the telescopic mast and I used to have sleepless nights when there were very strong winds. I am also wanting to keep the peace with the neighbours as well so the size of the A99 is about 4 feet shorter than a 5/8 I believe and looks very similar to the Thunderpole 5 so it shouldn't look too dominating when in situ.

I can only see for myself now if the performance of the antenna is good, fair or bad! compared to what I have purchased in the past, plus all that I have read I feel quite positive with my purchase so far.

Regards
May the propergation be with you

Nik Gnashers
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 573

Yagi 3
Monday, 16. April 2018, 17:58
The Antron is the xr3i of twigs lol, every one moans and n groans about them but they work well, easy on the eye etc. Very versatile value for money antenna. Take some killing. :thumb:

LOL

The Antron/Solarcon 99 is like the 'Katie Price' of antenna's......

People moan about them, and they are not deadly ugly to look at, just a bit average. They can definitely take a lot of hammer, and will work in quite a few area's.

:D
M6GFT ::: QRZ Page- http://www.qrz.com/db/M6GFT
[imgw=150]http://i.imgur.com/RJjZCOw.jpg[/imgw]
All CT members are expected to use good operating procedure, good manners, and be friendly...Please do not chat on any calling frequencies, or use bad language on air, thank you it is appreciated.

Yagi 3
Member Avatar

I like it Nik lol :thumb:

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Aerials, RF & QRM Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com