Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hello folks; Intro
Topic Started: Wednesday, 14. February 2018, 02:05 (144 Views)
Seismick
No Avatar

Hello there,

The name is Mick, one of the OLD school, 27 AM back in the late 70's. Looking to possibly get back into some form of radio comms.

I actually qualified from college with a MRGC (26 words a minute Morse) but never used it in anger. Currently work offshore in the Oil and Gas business.

Was always making my own antennas (or antennae) back in the day and loved the whole CB vibe.

Over the years I have worked in some weird places and had access to some Yaesu gear which I could use for Dx'ing worldwide, for example sitting in the jungle of Gabon with a portable fully programmeable 8 watt SSB carried in a rucksack with a portable tuner and speaking to someone in Canada or even South Africa was always a thrill.

Haven't really spoken to anyone about it recently but I do miss the banter.

Is it busy these days or is it just channels full of "bucketmouths"?

I could easily get some sort of SSB set up for home, but is there still an issue with TVI these days with signals being digitised (used to be a curse back in the day with the neighbours going mad every time I keyed my mic LOL).

Anyway, looking forward to learning something on here and maybe getting back on the air,

Thanks in advance,

Mick

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GaryWilson
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1836

Hello Mick, welcome to the forum, as far as CB is concerned it very much depends on your individual area some seem pretty active and other areas completely dead. Amateur HF is still pretty good but in London VHF & UHF is pretty much unused even the repeaters sit silent most of the time. I have developed an interest in DMR and PTT over cellular not for the purists I know but it's all communications to me. TVI is much less of an issue now with digital TVs etc which are much more immune to RF interference so not really a problem.

73s Gary
26CT1836 2E0GGQ

Padrick
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2727

Hello Mick and welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group.
26CT2727 & 2E0TWD
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0TWD
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SydtheCat
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 483

:hi: Mick and a very warm welcome to the group

Great intro and hope you find the forum useful :thumb:

:cheers: Craig
Posted Image

Yaesu FTdx 3000 - Sirio GM - MD 200 mic
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jonboy
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1369

:hi: Mick welcome to Charlie Tango.

26CT1369. :cb:
MAY THE DX BE WITH YOU.

John123
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 763

Hello and welcome, Mick. :hi:

73s John.

Nik Gnashers
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 573

Hi Mick,
Welcome to CT DX group.
As Gary says, it's a bit hit & miss. Unfortunately, we are approaching a low point for propagation, in the solar cycle. As such, DX is a bit rare, but in 3 to 4 years it will be approaching it's peak again, and will be booming.
Luckily, we have quite a few fantastic operators who use the forum, and take the time & effort to go out weekly, park up on a high spot, and run a 'net'. This gives many others a really good chancer of making decent groundwave distance contacts. Have a look in the 'nets & skeds' area for threads relating to the various nets, times and locations etc.
In my area, there is still quite a bit of activity on UKFM, some good, some not so good, but away from CH19 (where unfortunately we have a couple of muppets), there are quite a few regular chats, on the same channel where locals meet up, so I guess I am lucky for that, as in some other area's it can be almost silent, even on CH19.
The freeband area of 11m is always still busy when there is any propagation, and even in dead times, there are usually a few sensible locals to chat to.
As regards interference, the tables have turned, and it's everyone else that interferes with CB's nowadays. You might be lucky, but most of us have to struggle a bit working from home, with a bit of noise. Cheap PSU's, phone chargers, plasma TV's, and power-line transmission devices seem to be the culprits :)
Nik
M6GFT ::: QRZ Page- http://www.qrz.com/db/M6GFT
[imgw=150]http://i.imgur.com/RJjZCOw.jpg[/imgw]
All CT members are expected to use good operating procedure, good manners, and be friendly...Please do not chat on any calling frequencies, or use bad language on air, thank you it is appreciated.

Seismick
No Avatar

Thanks for the replies folks. Seems times have changed a lot. I have a small jeep at home which I use mainly for fishing (which means that her indoors doesn't drive it due to the smell LOL), would it be feasible to set up some kit in there which I could move around with (I live pretty close to the moiuntains at home so can get up high with no effort).

What would you recommend as a starter SSB mobile set up? Don't want to spend more than say 300 quid to see how it goes?

Nik Gnashers
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 573

A really good set up can be had for 300.

Antenna - a very popular, and very good antenna for mobile is the sirio HP4000 / MW4000, and you will also need a mag-mount or other mounting device.

Radio - quite a few similar radio's such as the CRT SS 9900 which are about 200 - http://www.kcb.co.uk/shop2/contents/en-uk/p1703_Superstar_9900.html

Also, get yourself a cheap external SWR meter, as the built in meters on radio's are inaccurate (10 ish).
M6GFT ::: QRZ Page- http://www.qrz.com/db/M6GFT
[imgw=150]http://i.imgur.com/RJjZCOw.jpg[/imgw]
All CT members are expected to use good operating procedure, good manners, and be friendly...Please do not chat on any calling frequencies, or use bad language on air, thank you it is appreciated.

Seismick
No Avatar

Thanks Nik,

I saw a radio for sale here (SS 9000 possibly) but looks like it may be gone, would that have been the one to go for?

Anyway, I am at work just now, down off Papua New Guinea for my sins, so will keep watching the for sales here in the meantime and see if anything suitable comes on before |I am due home,

By the way, if you think this topic should now be moved somewhere else other than the introduction section please go ahead and move it,

Cheers.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Introductions & Call-Sign Allocation · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com