Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New member in Belfast; 68CT027 issued
Topic Started: Friday, 12. January 2018, 22:14 (196 Views)
GT390
No Avatar
68 Charlie Tango 027

Hi Guys, CB played a big part in my life many years ago, back in the late 1970`s , maybe around `76 or `77 my dad was one of the guys that introduced it to the masses in Ireland, I was only around 7 years old at that time. He became a an agent for avanti and he was importing rigs from all over the world by the container load, he had a moonraker 4 and a moonraker 6 built up in the back garden for display on rotators and of course he sold loads of sigma 4`s. I could tell some interesting and funny stories of the on goings and shenanigans that went on back then. Unfortunately it all eventually came to an end when interest dwindled and the skip disappeared, I don`t think we knew about the 11 year cycle back then.
Roll on 40 years and when clearing out a cupboard in the garage my 16 year old son asks what are those things ?
CB radios I tell him, and he says oh yes, grandad used to sell those, what do they do?
And so here I am on this forum now, we have a grant president original from about 1980 i guess, with the mods done so it has am, fm, ssb and the hi/lo channel buttons, I put it in the car and hooked it up, despite all the antennas we used to sell, 40 years on not much is left, I did find a moonraker mobile coil and 2 piece whip...but I cant find the magnet, its here somewhere but I cant put my hand on it, so I bought a sirio 5000 performer and headed to the hills, not expecting to pick up anything.
To my surprise I did pick up a few guys on usb and even got a radio check and a short conversation..
I cant seem to pick up anyone on the am cb bands, I guess it is dead around northern ireland and I think the FM on my 1980 grant is not compatable with the uk 40 so I am now thinking of buying a modern rig, I like the look of the lincoln II plus, if anyone reading this has one i`d appreciate their feedback on it., Oh and on the off chance.. if anyone has a mag mount to suit a moonraker , its a 5/8 thread. Oh, one more thing, can I have a call sign please. :hi:

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

John123
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 763

Hello and welcome, Robert. :hi:

Nice intro from you. :thumb:

Johnno or Nik will be along to issue you with a call-sign.

73s John.

GaryWilson
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1836

Hello Robert, welcome to the forum,

73s Gary.
26CT1836 2E0GGQ

Nik Gnashers
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 573

Hi Robert,
Welcome to CT DX group.
Fascinating introduction, thank you, and it's a shame you have re-kindled your interest at a time when the solar cycle is just about at it's lowest point.
Not to worry though, now the old midband frequencies (now called the CEPT or EU band), have been legalised, for all modes, there can be a fair amount of activity on there as well as the freeband area of 11m around 27.555.
I have issued you the call-sign : 68CT027, good luck,
Nik
M6GFT ::: QRZ Page- http://www.qrz.com/db/M6GFT
[imgw=150]http://i.imgur.com/RJjZCOw.jpg[/imgw]
All CT members are expected to use good operating procedure, good manners, and be friendly...Please do not chat on any calling frequencies, or use bad language on air, thank you it is appreciated.

Jonboy
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1369

:hi: Robert welcome to Charlie Tango.

26CT1369. :cb:
MAY THE DX BE WITH YOU.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FamousPablo
Member Avatar
68 Charlie Tango 357

Hey Robert!

Welcome to CT. I'm in Belfast too (well, Newtownabbey) and have returned to the airwaves after many years away doing life. At the minute my set up is very basic, mobile only (little CRT One N), but took delivery of a tank whip yesterday to try out static. We should get together sometime for a coffee. At the minute I usually head up to Knockagh monument to see what's happening (UKFM / Euro) but have not had much success. It's also challenging to find the time as self-employed with a growing family. Totally dead compared to how it used to be. Give me a shout and we can make something happen.

Regards,

Paul

GT390
No Avatar
68 Charlie Tango 027

FamousPablo
Saturday, 13. January 2018, 10:20
Hey Robert!

Welcome to CT. I'm in Belfast too (well, Newtownabbey) and have returned to the airwaves after many years away doing life. At the minute my set up is very basic, mobile only (little CRT One N), but took delivery of a tank whip yesterday to try out static. We should get together sometime for a coffee. At the minute I usually head up to Knockagh monument to see what's happening (UKFM / Euro) but have not had much success. It's also challenging to find the time as self-employed with a growing family. Totally dead compared to how it used to be. Give me a shout and we can make something happen.

Regards,

Paul
Hi Paul, that tank whip is a beast, I remember knockagh was a favorite spot back in the early days, I have the castlereagh hills just behind me, the craigantlet hills in front of me and scrabo to to north east, so I've good choice for a mobile set up but not so good at home 20 as I am in a hollow, I've plenty of space here though so may consider putting an antenna up in the future.
The only activity I`ve picked up in NI so far has all been on USB, there are a few people active for a while most nights, I made contact to markethill, larne and ballyclare. Markethill being the farthest away at 37 miles, RX was loud and clear and TX was a 5 back, I was quite happy with that. I would like to try the UK40 FM but despite having a few rigs to play with here, non have that.
Hopefully I will get that sorted soon..

Padrick
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2727

Hello and welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group.
26CT2727 & 2E0TWD
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0TWD

G7JAC
No Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2691

Hi Robert,
Great story on your intro. You must have seen it all then... Welcome to the group!
73, and best regards
John

(26CT2691 / G7JAC)

SydtheCat
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 483

:hi: Robert and a very warm welcome to the group

Great intro :thumb:

:cheers: Craig
Posted Image

Yaesu FTdx 3000 - Sirio GM - MD 200 mic

TrainDriver
Member Avatar
29 Charlie Tango 737

Hi Robert
welcome to CT excellent story

Chas

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Introductions & Call-Sign Allocation · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com