Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Belcom LS-102L restoration
Topic Started: Tuesday, 14. November 2017, 20:37 (2,466 Views)
Ste
No Avatar

Picked this up off ebay as a spares or repair set.

Seller didnt know much about it except the display had been modified, and theyd changed the mic socket to use a mic with up down buttons.

Initial thoughts, already love the look and feel of the radio, and the notchless VFO knob. Case and all hardware is present except the display, more on that later,

Quite tatty,but will clean up nicely.

RF and PA boards intact,VFO board all the bits there but heavily modified.

On powering the rig up, decimal point illuminated on the display is lit even with the rig switched off, without an aerial lots of birdies but the vfo board isnt screwed down so earthing will be all over the place.

S meter dead, oh it fell out when front panel removed.

VFO moves the channel display up and down.

Picking noise up with a piece of wire plugged in so hopefully rf side intact.

Bandswitch is changing the noise coming out of it but not sure what bands yet.

FM and AM sound FM and AM ish.

Mods wise, someones gone to a awful lot of trouble to add an extra display digit, and introcued dodgy soldering all over, NB switch and the slide switch appear to be linked to switch extra bands in but dont know what yet.

Sooo, I think plan of attack is.

Remove display mod pcb and go back to 3 digits, Ive some period 7 seg displays in my led tin.

Remove all the bandswitching mods for now.

Go through the radio for dodgy wiring and dry joints.

Once its working on 10 as it should.

Replace all electrolytics.

Align rx and tx.

Try and source a 4 position bandswitch to take it onto 11.

Cosmetically restore the case, front panel and knobs
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_1971.jpg (143.64 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1972.jpg (141.71 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1973.jpg (168.75 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1974.jpg (197.79 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1975.jpg (165.48 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1978.jpg (137.2 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1979.jpg (171.97 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1980.jpg (133.31 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1982.jpg (127.91 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1983.jpg (100.97 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ste
No Avatar

Quick video of the vfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0TkkVlpUAg

Ste
No Avatar

Made a little tester to check the pinout on my displays. Will give me some respite from having nothing to do at work tomorrow
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2018.jpg (120.99 KB)

Oggy
Member Avatar

The old Belcom trick is to use the pull out NB switch to go on 11 meters........both mine use this method.
European Citizens' Band Federation (ECBF) Delegate For The United Kingdom.

Ste
No Avatar

There is some yellow wiring around the NB switch, Ill make a point of sketching out what Ive removed, thank you

Ste
No Avatar

What the circuit diagram doesnt show you 😉
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2024.jpg (112.19 KB)

26PS001
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1523

Watching this, see how things progress good luck with the project matey
Posted Image
Charlie Tango member 26CT1523 since 12/11/14
Mark (252) thecobraman tribute youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-jDebaO5BGsAjdy3pNiG7Q

Ste
No Avatar

The casings are a dark green/grey wrinkle finish which would be bery impossible to reproduce, plus I want the rig to retain some patina pertaining to its age.

I remembered Id some car polish that is designed for oxidised paint, so decided to give it a try. Its had two coats which really brought some muck off, followed by
A couple of coats of hard wax.

Ive not taken a pic but scratched inside the case is the name "Kev Novak". I wonder if he assembled the rig or if it was an owner that did it in vase of theft ?

Front panel has also had a coat of wax, again, I think Im happy with it, for now.

And thanks Daz 👍
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2031.jpg (96.73 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2032.jpg (89.17 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2033.jpg (99.32 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2034.jpg (75.96 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2035.jpg (92.58 KB)
Attachments: FullSizeRender.jpg (147.1 KB)
Attachments: FullSizeRender.jpg (88.52 KB)
Edited by Ste, Wednesday, 15. November 2017, 21:18.

Ste
No Avatar

De modded. I was going to document the mods but couldnt be bothered. Stupid mods anyway.

Provisioned for 27/26 when I get a 4 position bandswitch and reinstated the noise blanker switch.

To do

Reinstate 4 pin mic connector

Go through boards for dry joints

Change electrolytics as a possible source of funny problems

Redo display ( got some hewlett packard 7 segs on order)

Hope that no silly core tweaking has taken place
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2065.jpg (163.42 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2066.jpg (139.41 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2069.jpg (124.37 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2070.jpg (157.88 KB)

DDC
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 455
Miss my old Belcom, one of those keepers I should have kept back in the day!
Yaesu FT-991, FT-450D, FT-857D, FT-817ND, FTM100DE, Alinco DX-SR8, President Grant ll, Anytone AT-5555N, AT-6666, General Electric 3-5805A, Albrecht ae-6110, QYT KT 8900, QYT KT 8900D, Yaesu FT-60R, FT-1XDE, Icom IC-E7, Beofeng UV5s, BF-888s x 4, Pofung GT3 MK II, Retevis RT3, Inrico TM-7 Network Radio... I must stop buying handhelds!!!!!

landyman
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting, its coming up well good if you can keep the original finish I find original finish's are much tougher than shop bought paints .

Ste
No Avatar

Bit of an update but not much progress really.
Switched my old faithful weller soldering iron on last night and nothing...
So spent an hour sussing whats wrong with it and its kaput, to be fair Ive had it since the 90's, so its paid for itself.

I do wish component suppliers like RS and Farnell did a paper catalogue still, its bloody hard work scrolling websites on you phone for a replacement. Anyway went for a duratool manually temperature controlled soldering station for now, I dont like it already but the iron itself is ok and its using steel tips that can be replaced, so I can crack on soldering.

As far as the radio goes, Ive reconnected the s meter and put a 4 pin mic socket on it, been through the VFO board for dry joints, and noticed some missing parts round the FM demodulator.

I think next job will be sorting the counter display, then I'll have to decamp to the shack with it so I can use the Alinco to put some signals out and see what if anything its receiving and if the VFO's working as it should.

Ste
No Avatar

Busy Monday off work.

Managed to pick up a Drae power supply off ebay for 5.51.

What a belter.

Ive also sorted the shack out so Ive got an operating bench and a repair area so I can shut the door on jobs when Ive had enough. Its only an 8x4 space but Ive got plenty hoarded in there

Using the antenna analyser as a signal source the radio seems to be receiving and Ive sussed the lack of FM, the if input from the RF board is off.

Job for tomorrow at work is to make a list of electrolytics to replace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpx5e1dYbNA
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2125.jpg (138.85 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2126.jpg (94.42 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2129.jpg (113.83 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2130.jpg (121.88 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2133.jpg (112.54 KB)

John123
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 763

Coming along nicely, Steve. :thumb:

P.s.The Carlack NSC is also a very good all in one cleanser/polish. I use it as part of my winter car-prep. :)

Ste
No Avatar

Hewlett packard displays and a used president bandswitch have arrived.
Electrolytics have arrived from RS. Just over a tenner to replace the lot.

Ive also had to buy a new soldering iron as my old weller randomly died.
To be fair Ive had it 30 odd years .

Ive also taken a punt on a microwave modules frequency counter for the station,
You can still pick the odd bargain up on ebay, took a bit of head scratching to get it to work, you have to feed 12 volts in on two of the pins to select the range. So if anyone needs info on them Ive got it here . Oh and I may or may not have treated myself to a Kenwood TR 9130 2m multimode. Ive always wanted one and picked it up for not silly money.

Did anyone on here get the Belcom thats sold on Ebay tonight.? Id kept quiet about it because I was going to have a punt on it as an unmodified reference set but it went for more than I was willing to pay
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2170.jpg (150.46 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2172.jpg (122.75 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2173.jpg (129.05 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2174.jpg (112.35 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2175.jpg (98.25 KB)
Attachments: FullSizeRender.jpg (98.46 KB)

Ste
No Avatar

Spent a couple of hours after tea changing all the electrolytics on the VFO pcb, and brushing all the dust off. Also found a couple of dry joints. Just the RF board and PA strip pcbs to go through now.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2240.jpg (175.92 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2243.jpg (190.21 KB)
Edited by Ste, Sunday, 26. November 2017, 21:53.

Ste
No Avatar

RF board out and PA strip off for re capping. I love how well built this radio is
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 635067F8_C38B_4741_BC98_FE7DA49BE810.jpeg (143.84 KB)
Attachments: 5DA8C01F_D2C2_4594_A84F_4E25F79F6F80.jpeg (119.92 KB)

Ste
No Avatar

found an old advert from lowe electronics, they weren't a cheap rig !
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2270.jpg (141.56 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2269.jpg (132.19 KB)
Edited by Ste, Wednesday, 29. November 2017, 13:12.

Ste
No Avatar

If Carlsberg did PA strips.
Very well put together. Can start reassembly now
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 570DE386_9607_4E98_AD11_C6644F1BC246.jpeg (126.64 KB)
Attachments: 2DABC67A_C364_45BF_A3D9_D98A3C36E7BF.jpeg (139.11 KB)
Attachments: 12BC7B5B_4D3D_47B1_806D_FD2CF60F0849.jpeg (146.58 KB)
Attachments: 10607C5C_5739_437E_9347_509CE5733E9A.jpeg (135.38 KB)
Attachments: EBF3A789_4209_4A9A_9080_ECB557A1E6D5.jpeg (104.29 KB)

Ste
No Avatar

Had a punt on another old school set on Ebay.

Remember a mate had one and they were a good set, heard the astronaut with a walkie talkie on the space station but didnt manage to get through. Will finish the Belcom first before tackling this, hopefully just a clean up and a mic required
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 20A77063_3087_43DA_A033_46138930B47A.jpeg (111.42 KB)
Attachments: 539B0CE0_859A_49C3_A138_C1F6D4153F2F.jpeg (124.46 KB)
Attachments: 7C002B49_16EA_4EB9_802E_65ACAF1B1AB4.jpeg (104.75 KB)
Attachments: AC098C46_B60E_46CC_BCC5_46934BC8DD05.jpeg (117.87 KB)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Restorations · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com