Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
midland portapak 77-805d low power out; midland portapak 77-805d low power out
Topic Started: Wednesday, 11. October 2017, 00:13 (276 Views)
ur5by9
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 188

I have a midland portapak 77-805d UK

Used this a few times and found it to receive better than it seems to transmit.
I put this onto a power meter and its only doing a few watts out at 12V

I cant seem to find much information on this that helps me out.

Anyone have any experience with these as to which are the correct variables for output
This model seems to have some kind of tuning for the external antenna and I don't want to upset that
I'm just looking to get it back to 4w out
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pagan
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2069

Hi Chris....see the links below for the manual / specifications and a couple of videos showing how to "tweak" the transmitter & receiver. Don't forget to check that the switch (on the rear) is set to High power. I have one of these and it puts out just over 4 watts on high power according to my meter (using the telescopic antenna). If you use an external antenna the power readings may be different if the SWR changes.

Manual & Specs:

http://78roger.free.fr/midland/manuel/77-805(uk).pdf

Transmitter alignment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k2ARbfEdbk

Receiver alignment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=062Lt5V4cQs&t=2s
Edited by pagan, Wednesday, 11. October 2017, 02:09.

ur5by9
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 188

Hi Pagan :hi:

I seen those videos but the inside of my unit is very different from the one that is
on the bench being worked on.

The switch is on high power and its doing around 2.5watts high and a few hundred mw on low.
I'm using this straight into a dummy load power meter which is known to be fairly accurate.

It may have been set low from the factory or just over the years it needs a slight tweek to bring it back up to
its normal working power.

I could try to post a picture but since Photobucket has changed its policy I have yet to find a suitable replacement.

Any further advice would be with the greatest of thanks :)

I managed to find a picture which is the same inside but not my own picture.
If I can find another I will post more.

Posted Image

Another picture inside which I found on the forum

Posted Image

The thread is hear I wonder if this user is still active and could point me in the right direction.
Click for LINK
Edited by ur5by9, Wednesday, 11. October 2017, 12:54.

Nik Gnashers
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 573

My Midland Porta, only did about 2.5w out on high power, when using it's internal battery pack. When connected to a PSU it did 4w though.

Not sure what you are powering it with.
M6GFT ::: QRZ Page- http://www.qrz.com/db/M6GFT
[imgw=150]http://i.imgur.com/RJjZCOw.jpg[/imgw]
All CT members are expected to use good operating procedure, good manners, and be friendly...Please do not chat on any calling frequencies, or use bad language on air, thank you it is appreciated.

ur5by9
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 188

Hi and thanks for that info, I'm using the Midland from a variable power supply set at 12 Volts.

Gunrunner
Member Avatar

ur5by9
Wednesday, 11. October 2017, 16:18
Hi and thanks for that info, I'm using the Midland from a variable power supply set at 12 Volts.

see what you mean but it may say 12v but its amps some of that type will do 12v but only put 3/4 amp and 2 amp out, but
they never put out 4amp or 5amp out that's why you are only getting 2w out and they hum and make strange noises to try it with a 5amp psu
and it will do 4w out hope this helps mate :cheers: :pirate:
Edited by Gunrunner, Wednesday, 11. October 2017, 17:56.
Never go faster then your guardian angel can fly

pagan
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2069

Chris......I've just noticed that the manual (page 17...."Technical Specifications")...says that with a 12 volt supply the current drawn will be 250 milliamps (max) so the output will be 3 Watts. However, with a 13.8 volt supply it will draw a current of 300 milliamps (max) so that will give you 4 Watts. As Gunrunner said above, it's the amps (in combination with the voltage) that counts. Power = Voltage x Current.

ur5by9
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 188

Hi guys thanks for the info, The Psu is a 30 amp supply, I have tried it up at 13.8v and its close to the 3watts to be fair.

I still feel its a little low. Are we able to identify the output tuning cans so I can tweek this up slightly.

Northern Crusader
No Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1760

The difference between 2.5W and 4W to the other end of the conversation is very slight but the difference in battery life can be quite significant.

Personally if it were me I'd leave it as it was, there is certainly very little if any real world benefit in upping it an extra watt or so and that basically any difference will only be observed on a power meter.

As for the "power=voltage x current", that isn't applicable other than measuring how many watts a radio draws and you certainly can not use it for working out how many watts a radio's PA will transmit other than for a rough guide, i.e "as a rule of thumb most 100W amateur radios will use around 23A on transmit at 100W".
Edited by Northern Crusader, Thursday, 12. October 2017, 11:22.
26CT1760 / M0GVZ

ur5by9
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 188

Fair comment I will leave it be.

Many thanks for the input.

razor36
Member Avatar

q12 is the rf power
M0LSG

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Standard CB Radio · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com