Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Is CB/11m/27Mhz radio dying or enjoying a comeback
Yes CB/11m/27Mhz is dying 3 (5.9%)
No CB/11m/27Mhz is enjoying a comeback 48 (94.1%)
Total Votes: 51
Is CB Dying? You decide
Topic Started: Thursday, 31. August 2017, 15:39 (3,020 Views)
26DA75
Member Avatar

OK I Think we all know where this thread has come from but for those of you who don't a quick skim through this thread
http://charlietango.co.uk/topic/9034189/1/ should bring you up to speed.

The question is a simple one. I don't propose getting tied up in semantics CB Radio, 11m Radio, 27Mhz whatever you call it the question is in your opinion experience of using this part of the HF spectrum in recent times would you say it was dying out or not? There is lots of evidence here and elsewhere to suggest that usage is actually on the up again but there is also a stubborn rump who maintain that our hobby will die out in a short period. This begs me to ask the CT forumites what do you think guys?

73, Tom
Edited by 26DA75, Thursday, 31. August 2017, 15:41.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jay1944
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2564

Hi Tom, as i said in a previous post i was on air back in the late to mid 90s and there was a fantastic contact rate both mobile and homebased stations that was all on the uk40.
I'm thinking now with the addition of the Sbb band now being legalised it gives the hobby new scope to the newbies and the tech has improved greatly you don't have to pay silly money for a reasonable set up.
I don't think the hobby is in a massive decline we need to try and get the younger generation interested in this great hobby if we can drag their Ipads and phones off them long enough lol!
Jay 26CT2564

26DA75
Member Avatar

Hi Jay,

I think you've nailed it mate, legalisation of SSB has brought about the return of many, me included and has been a big part in revitalising the hobby I suspect it's also one of the best recruiting tools for people wanting to go for the foundation ham licence though I doubt the RSGB would admit it, lol.

as for the younger generation it's a tricky one but the more of us "wrinkley's" that are using radio the more chance youngsters have of being exposed to radio as a hobby.

73, Tom.

Jay1944
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2564

I have been wanting to come back to the hobby for a while but the thought of ssb confused me because when i was on air it was heard of but illegal, my mother said she had a sideband radio in the early 80s, im plucking up the courage and im going to get myself a CRT SS 9900 far more advanced than my old trusty Havard 420m,
and give the ssb a whirl.
Jay 26CT2564

Cozzmik
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 465

Some areas yes it is dying but many areas it is still doing ok.

A niche hobby that is enjoyed by those who work at it and you get what you put in is how i see it,from my homebase i do ok dx wise but theres at most 10 ops and half of those are muppets preferring to swear and act like idiots on ch19 so local chats are very rare.

Im at most a casual radio enthusiast so perhaps if i was on more often i would see more use by others...maybe maybe not.I have listened to some of the web based sdr`s and tbh i do think there was more activity a couple of years ago (not the networks)

BUT the nets are a different story and they are doing very well so keep it up guys you are the ones promoting this hobby with good effect :thumbs:
Edited by Cozzmik, Thursday, 31. August 2017, 16:40.

26DA75
Member Avatar

I'm sure you have done your research Jay but may I suggest an Alinco DR-135 and a KL203/p linear rather than the SS9900 simply because while I'm sure the 9900 is a good rig it does by most accounts get rather hot due to its considerable (60w) output where as the 135 at just 20w feeding the linear is under less strain and the linear is doing the work and at 40ish quid is a lot cheeper to replace than a radio if you burn it out. I have run two such set-up's in my two vehicles mobile for getting on two years with no problems and very handsome results DXing. Just something to consider before you take the plunge!

73, Tom

Smudger
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1938

I have heard more different stations this year so in the face of it to me i would say its making some sort of comeback.
CT1938 / FOX INDIA 420

mike295
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 295

As I've mentioned in that 'other debate', I've checked in on 11m many times over the years since I went QRT back in 1990. Late 90's it was quieter but I was only checking out UKFM at that point. Probably checked-in again about '03 and it was noticeably quieter (especially as I was back in Glasgow at that time). Around 2010 I listened in on all the modes and was pretty sure by then that nobody was using FM, certainly up here in the North of Scotland, but still some action on SSB.

It's now 2017 and, from what I can hear for myself, I'm sure things are better than they have been for a while. Forums like this help as people make the effort to get out and about, set up Nets and assist others in letting them know when prop conditions are worth getting out to high ground to make those distant contacts.

Similarly, how many people have acquired kit over the last 20 years and just given up because of noise/interference or just poor equipment set-up issues with no one to turn to for help. A very good chance that won't happen now as people have numerous places to seek assistance from.

The hobby has changed but it's far from dead :cheers:

Rotel RVC 240
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 950

I know cb radio is on the up,in the last few days i have had good long rag chews with 3 new operators coming back to the hobby and when t5 is open its a mad house on the band, As Tom says a lot of older folk are coming back on the air and with SSB radio for just over 100 is in most peoples reach a Binatone 5 star was 100 35 years ago.The mid week nets are always very busy and the shops are doing a good trade with both ham and cb gear.
26 CT 950 YOUR SIGNAL IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR ANTENNA AND THE PROPAGATION https://www.facebook.com/DRX111/

Cozzmik
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 465

Over 6000 members and 14 votes from 155 viewers....wow where are all the 11m enthusiasts

:bash: :wack:
Edited by Cozzmik, Friday, 1. September 2017, 17:11.

mike295
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 295

Cozzmik
Friday, 1. September 2017, 17:05
Over 6000 members and 14 votes from 155 viewers....wow where are all the 11m enthusiasts

Maybe some people don't look further than the Index page and the most recent forum articles within each topic...

I guess technically, this'll be a 'bump' to see if that's the case.

:cheers:

Smudger
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1938

mike295
Friday, 1. September 2017, 17:45
Cozzmik

Maybe some people don't look further than the Index page and the most recent forum articles within each topic...

Haha no you got to take the route of a marketing department, ignore the numbers and say the overwelmingly large majority, infact 85% voted no its not dying. :P Cos thats what marketing departments do
CT1938 / FOX INDIA 420

Cozzmik
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 465

mike295
Friday, 1. September 2017, 17:45
Cozzmik

If they viewed it you would think they would vote.... :hi:

Unless it was the same 14 viewing 10 or so times each :bash:
Edited by Cozzmik, Friday, 1. September 2017, 18:03.

mike295
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 295

Cozzmik
Friday, 1. September 2017, 17:52

Well Sam, you and me alone must have contributed several views between us, but still only 2 votes :thumbs:

Others may well view and not want to commit :cry:

Padrick
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2727

Apolgies for the off topic post: it took me a long time to find the "active topics" link.

I was thinking the same though Sam, is it apathy? Or are there really only 14 people that interested. I hoped this Survey would have provided good data.

Edit: 22 votes now
Edited by Padrick, Saturday, 2. September 2017, 06:12.
26CT2727 & M6VBO
https://www.qrz.com/db/M6VBO

Gunrunner
Member Avatar

mike295
Friday, 1. September 2017, 18:53
Cozzmik
Friday, 1. September 2017, 17:52

Well Sam, you and me alone must have contributed several views between us, but still only 2 votes :thumbs:

Others may well view and not want to commit :cry:

I voted no its not just got better and more dedicated users , yes we all miss the old days but look forwards to the radio now :cheers: :pirate2:
Edited by Gunrunner, Saturday, 2. September 2017, 07:22.
Never go faster then your guardian angel can fly
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cozzmik
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 465

Perhaps we need a STILL THE SAME/NO DIFFERENCE option..for those of us who have been on a few years and have seen no change in that time..or a IN MY AREA YES/NO

Edit: I voted yes it is dying because since 2011 when i came back on air for the third time many in this area have "gone down" in fact at least 13 i knew of and spoke to have left the hobby.

Of course the nets are lively but i have only managed to get involved once due to work or family constraints.The CT member total shows a huge number of radio enthusiasts but im sorry those figures make no sense to me.

Most important is that those of us who use CB do so with respect and hope its still here for us many years from now as its still an important hobby just as it was when i first came on air back in 1978.... :thumbs:
Edited by Cozzmik, Saturday, 2. September 2017, 10:02.

26PS001
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 1523

I cant really vote on this because TBH in my experience local contacts have died but when we have skip its as busy as its always been.

Last night it was choca when I was at work in my taxi, I was talking all over Europe mobile from my town centre location, it was great stuff.

YES the hobby has died for local contacts

NO most of the hobbyists are now DX'ers. So I guess we know who is buying all these new radios that come out.

The hobby has changed thats all I can say on this subject.
Posted Image
Charlie Tango member 26CT1523 since 12/11/14
Mark (252) thecobraman tribute youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-jDebaO5BGsAjdy3pNiG7Q

Nubster
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 050

I agree with Sam and Daz 100% but as I'm classed as the Doom and Gloom of CB I suppose my opinion doesn't matter lol ;) ;)

Life is too short, so ave a laugh now n then never know you might like it

Padrick
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2727

Nubster
Saturday, 2. September 2017, 14:11
I agree with Sam and Daz 100% but as I'm classed as the Doom and Gloom of CB I suppose my opinion doesn't matter lol ;) ;)
Everybodies opinion is a valid one Martin. Personally I felt your delivery let you down and to an extent you were misunderstood.

Your comments did come across as "Doom and Gloom" because as has already been said you SEEMED to be saying CB/11m was finished end of! Whereas I think you'd have been better off stipulating that where you live it was dead due to all the reasons you later went on to explain I.e. London, buildings, noise levels and everything else that goes with living in a metropolis.

I mean obviously the answer to the question is different for everybody because we all live in different locations and we all have different methods of using our radios. Homebase, Mobile and getting up those hills etc....

I hope you get what I'm trying to say hear buddy. Basically I felt your statement was too sweeping as if you were answering for the whole UK were obviously you were answering for your bit of it but labelling the whole of the UK with your point of view.

Don't get down about it Martin it's all opinion, you've been around radio a hell of a lot longer than me and many others your knowledge and experience is vital to a forum like this. 73.
26CT2727 & M6VBO
https://www.qrz.com/db/M6VBO

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ch.34 Cafe (CB/PMR Radio Forum) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com