Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Is CB Finally Dying?
Topic Started: Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 09:06 (7,152 Views)
Joloke
Member Avatar

Just mentioned this to somebody else but havnt been around for ages and noticed lately the deluge of rarer stuff appearing on eBay at really low prices compared to what things used to sell for but still failing to sell :huh:

I actually feel like selling up not completely but going to the point I was years ago 2-4 rigs Maximum but don't want to give stuff away!

Think I have got to that point where

Been There

Seen It

Bought The T Shirt

Only one radio thats ever eluded me and I have to be honest If I ever got the chance yes id buy one but thats only for closure.........................

I gave up Ham Radio wont be returning I am getting too old for menu driven radios and the thought of too many old radio which do eventually fail just due to lack of use!

So yeh whats going on?

Jo
Edited by Joloke, Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 09:08.
"I fully understand your situation with him and I don't wish for you to remove his warning as this wouldn't set a good example to the community. I believe your warning should stand""Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bean
Member Avatar

No , cb is not dying in fact more and more people are using 27megs than in a long time ( although it will never get anywhere the numbers of its hey day ) What the price of old radios , I'd pay no more than £10 for a mint boxed Cobra 148, has to do with people actually using a radio is beyond me.
Collecting and using , totally different imho.
Kevin
CT261685@aol.com
TOTALLY PORTABLE

"Speech is civilization itself. The word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact. It is silence which isolates."
Thomas Mann (1875-1955)

Joloke
Member Avatar

Bean
Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 10:07
No , cb is not dying in fact more and more people are using 27megs than in a long time ( although it will never get anywhere the numbers of its hey day ) What the price of old radios , I'd pay no more than £10 for a mint boxed Cobra 148, has to do with people actually using a radio is beyond me.
Collecting and using , totally different imho.
Kevin
Fair Doo's Kevin been out of the loop for a while..................

I thought I recognized the odd Shack or two in some of the adds,the sort of people you thought would never sell up...............

Maybe people are just stopping collecting in quite the same way?

But does appear to be a wave of radios appearing for sale......................
Edited by Joloke, Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 11:08.
"I fully understand your situation with him and I don't wish for you to remove his warning as this wouldn't set a good example to the community. I believe your warning should stand""Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
"

Nubster
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 050

Is Tom gonna have moan at Jo Kev ? ,because she feels like how I do how CB is going, or is it just me that you and Tom think is always wrong

Life is too short, so ave a laugh now n then never know you might like it

26DA75
Member Avatar

Jo, I can't help thinking your looking at this from the wrong end a bit mate, The reason that so much "Old skhool" gear is on the market I suspect is that a steady renaissance in CB over the last couple of years that has resulted in people with a few quid to spend and fond memories of operating the equipment they used to own looking to get back into radio and being prepared to pay a pretty penny for old equipment that is lurking in lofts, spare rooms and the bottom of wardrobes around the land!

Those who have this kit gathering dust are now very shrewdly cashing it in and reaping the "nostalgia tax" premium! good luck to both buyers and sellers but me personally I'm with Kevin I wouldn't want to return to having no frequency readout and all the other issues that come with operating 'vintage' kit especially when you see the money some stuff that wasn't all that great in the 1980's is making these days. If I where you I'd cash up the old stuff and invest in a nice new widebanded HF set with decent filters and useful features like split VFO and the ability to run reasonable power without also being able to cook chips on top of the rig cos it gets sooooo hot!

On this subject, My dear old granpa had a saying "god loves an optimist" but the bloke who has listed this on ebay has taken optimism to a new level.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Never-opened-VINTAGE-MIDLAND-4001-CB-RADIO-NEVER-USED-STILL-IN-BOX/132290075432?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

I loved my 27/81 spec Midland 4001 and I did buy one about two years ago just because I yearned for my youth I guess but I gave what I thought it was worth about £18.00 + a fiver postage for mine and it works spot on for a 4001. It is my last nostalgic purchace lol

73, Tom

PS Martin see above :howdy:

Edited by 26DA75, Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 11:34.
Call CQ Because on radio nobody can hear you listening!!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bean
Member Avatar

Its plain to anyone Martin , that CB in the long term is on the slippery slope, why would the kids of today want to get involved with something from a bygone age , thats still portrayed by films like Convoy etc . Old OPs go Silent Key faster than new blood stay's in the hobby.
Culture and sociaty move on , I doubt you will find many teenagers asking for the return of Black & White tv's or outside WCs but without a doubt there's more stations using 27megs now than in 2014 ,imho.
Kevin
CT261685@aol.com
TOTALLY PORTABLE

"Speech is civilization itself. The word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact. It is silence which isolates."
Thomas Mann (1875-1955)

Joloke
Member Avatar

26DA75
Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 11:32
If I where you I'd cash up the old stuff and invest in a nice new widebanded HF set with decent filters and useful features like split VFO and the ability to run reasonable power without also being able to cook chips on top of the rig cos it gets sooooo hot!

LOL but your not me and ive had it with complicated stuff.......................

For what I use it for when I do Clickety Click Channel Changers a Go Go for me ;)

My point isn't cashing in the prices appear to be going down and some of the sellers appear to be those I have come across over the years that were paying the big bucks to collect it???????

Don't know about future generations I have friends I drew up with my age who had involvement with CB at the time think I am nuts and cant see the attraction now we have mobile phones and the Interweb.....................

I just want to chat,catch up not that interested in DX anymore though still have all modes.

I think its safe to say we may be the last generation though

Disco One must be turning in his grave..................................

"

Joloke
Member Avatar

Decided to fire up tonight,Not been out for some time :(

Lets just hope I can find my power leads??????
"

Cozzmik
No Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 465

While i`m no hardcore CB`er as its quite a way down on my list of hobbies i still enjoy flicking on from time to time and i am of the opinion that its still rather quiet day to day.The nets get busy for sure but here in Kent there is just a handful of regulars on.

Ive spoken to one of the ch19 regulars and he thinks its got quieter lately with a few selling up for good.

Ive said this before though CT has over 6000 members yet flicking around some of the web sdr`s i hear very little and suspect many of those members have not gone any further than just researching this hobby.

Youngsters are not interested so i reckon in time it will die..
Edited by Cozzmik, Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 16:52.

Nubster
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 050

Well Kevin and Tom you must live in a different world to the rest of us because I have to agree 100% with Sam (Cozzmik) ,because its the same in my area , and before you mention Jake in Highgate who gets on a lot of nets he is very lucky he lives in the highest if not one of highest spots in North London in fact I think in all London and not all of us do, plus we also don't have many high points just to park up to go static mobile either because we live in very built up area, well London is TBH, so to some of us it is dead cos we dont hear anything
Edited by Nubster, Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 17:15.

vendee85
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2201

Hi. Guys.
Been away for a week down @ the Caroline Party it's the same down there. Hundreds of us old farts' talking
about the good ole' days on the high seas. I think you have got to make the most of what you have. I was a
Pirate and always will be. We've built a studio on the Ross with turntables for youngsters to practice on, to
encourage them to take over when we all go silent key. CB / 11m / Amateur. 73s Mike 2201 [Yeovil].

TimH1971
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2116

Yep let's prick this hobby's balloon shall we? This forum is a shop window for CB and Amareur radio in the UK. Forget the other web forums for CB, this is the one that people wondering whether or not to return or start this hobby go to.

Just bear this in mind!

John123
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 763

Joloke
Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 16:26
Decided to fire up tonight,Not been out for some time :(

Lets just hope I can find my power leads??????
Good luck, Jodie. Hope you make lots of contacts. :thumb:

Mid-block (mainly usb) is usually buzzing on a Wednesday night. :)

I would be out and about myself.... But I've broken the front spring on my car so cannot get out mobile. :(

Joloke
Member Avatar

Thanks just arrived at my high point not much moving on uk 40 but have an Ar144 on board too ;)
"

Nubster
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 050

TimH1971
Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 17:47
Yep let's prick this hobby's balloon shall we? This forum is a shop window for CB and Amareur radio in the UK. Forget the other web forums for CB, this is the one that people wondering whether or not to return or start this hobby go to.

Just bear this in mind!
Only because when people Google CB radio forum CT shows first , because it's first in alphabetical oder before FB (Fox Bravo DX) and TM(Transmission 1) don't suppose that also something to do with it also ^o) , how many of these new members and TBH old members on here out of the alegerly 6000 CT own a radio or even contribute to the forum, it's always the same lot who post or contribute weather some of you lot agree with them or not , it's a bit like the net works the same people on the lists every week don't see many of the 6000 members old or new on the list CB is bursting it's own bubble it don't need anyone to help it .but I will still carry on using it in fact I m building a new radio shack in my garden, so yes Tom I must be trying to put the downer on CB by wasting my time and money doing it, I don't think so
Edited by Nubster, Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 19:36.

TimH1971
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2116

So be more positive about the hobby on here then!

Nubster
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 050

TimH1971
Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 20:02
So be more positive about the hobby on here then!
I would like to but I can't lie , I like to tell people the truth of whats really happening and not look at CB through rose tinted glasses as some do on here , its not my fault you don't agree with me, there are some who do actually that's why its called a discussion forum we discuss things if we all agreed it would be so boring on here and then nobody would want to join CT .

Jake Highgate
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2151

Nubster
Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 17:10
Well Kevin and Tom you must live in a different world to the rest of us because I have to agree 100% with Sam (Cozzmik) ,because its the same in my area , and before you mention Jake in Highgate who gets on a lot of nets he is very lucky he lives in the highest if not one of highest spots in North London in fact I think in all London and not all of us do, plus we also don't have many high points just to park up to go static mobile either because we live in very built up area, well London is TBH, so to some of us it is dead cos we dont hear anything
Hello Martin

Yes I'm very lucky to be up so high in London and I thank the gods for it

So I hear all of London and its surrounding counties most of time I'm on the air

So that gives me a very good coverage you would say

I mainly use one ch all the time the 35 In the early evening till late and the ch is

Really busy 20+ People on most nights when I came on just over a year ago

There was only four regulars on the ch 35 that's just one year ago and about half of

The new people useing the ch 35 now are new breakers or old ones returned to the

Hobby
I can understand your situation Martin and my views would probably be very similar

To yours if i was in your shoes mate

But because I'm not in the same situation as you Martin I reach out to a lot of new

People most nights I'm on the air which is a good indicator to me that CB radio is

On the rise again

I don't want it back like it was in its heyday I'm happy the way it's growing now

With people who take an interest our hobby and building radio community of

Good friends and networks and a load of laughs a long the way

Where also very lucky to have the guys who chair SSB nets who help bring our

Hobby to new people through the many videos out there showing us at our best lol

Anyway Martin I'm just trying to put a positive view on the CB radio in London

To anyone who thinking of trying out CB radio give it a go and see for yourself

All the best Jake 73's

Edited by Jake Highgate, Wednesday, 16. August 2017, 20:46.
Come and join us on CH 35 London’s Daily Net from 8:30pm to late.
Our Facebook group name is CB channel 35 Club uk come and join in the fun

Jake Highgate 73’s

Joloke
Member Avatar

To be honest I wasn't being negative about it I just wondered if something was happening I didn't know about because I had been out of the loop for a while and I am seeing some sizeable collections being sold off.................

On a Positive note then I went out tonight and heard nets of both 28 FM and 23 USB Mid ;)

After not picking up a mic for 2 years i felt a little rusty so got mic shy and just listened :(

CT Members from Coombe Gibbet & Pepperbox Hill which are fairly local to where i was were booming in but could also hear Derbyshire from my location on one of the white Horses here in Wiltshire :)

I very nearly didn't make it out tonight as i have some casualties in my arsenal of radios here Two FM Radios down due to dry joints i think Another had a new S Meter but it needs a resistor across the back as it jambs :(

So I was down to a Brand New NOS Uniden I vowed id never open! Oh Well...............

Need to find my soldering iron and get to it................................
"

Nubster
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 050

Jake mate I have not always had this problem of not hearing other stations , when we first moved here about 20 year ago it was OK but as time has gone on with different buildings going up and other structures its just got worse , where we lived before was only about 2 mile up the road and was a bit higher but due to a growing family we had to move , but as I said I used hear and get herd all over before all the new structures went up , and all the electronic cr@p too lol,

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ch.34 Cafe (CB/PMR Radio Forum) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com