Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Delta loop home made
Topic Started: Tuesday, 11. July 2017, 22:20 (690 Views)
TimH1971
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2116

Anyone tried making or using one of these for 11m?

I'm looking to make a rectangular shaped one with the feed point at the centre of the base.

Question is that I know it needs 75ohm coax such as rg59 for a quarter wavelength to help impedence and then attach this to the rg58 I will use to connect to the radio.

But.... can pl259 plugs designed for rg58 also fit rg59 coax?

Tim
Edited by TimH1971, Tuesday, 11. July 2017, 22:38.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Meissen
Member Avatar

Hi Tim
58 and 59 are both 4.9ml, so yes is the answer. Good luck with the project.
474 jon

TimH1971
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2116

Meissen
Tuesday, 11. July 2017, 22:58
Hi Tim
58 and 59 are both 4.9ml, so yes is the answer. Good luck with the project.
474 jon
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.
73s

Rotel RVC 240
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 950

I used 75 ohm tv cable approx 2.2m and the loop worked well but not as good as the Moxon. Andy591/p will tell you everything you need to know. Look here http://charlietango.co.uk/topic/9030989/1/#new
26 CT 950 YOUR SIGNAL IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR ANTENNA AND THE PROPAGATION https://www.facebook.com/DRX111/

TimH1971
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2116

Rotel RVC 240
Wednesday, 12. July 2017, 07:21
I used 75 ohm tv cable approx 2.2m and the loop worked well but not as good as the Moxon. Andy591/p will tell you everything you need to know. Look here http://charlietango.co.uk/topic/9030989/1/#new
Thanks Paul

Walruss
Member Avatar

Good morning, Tim! :)

You may find this magnetic loop calculator interesting. http://www.iw5edi.com/software/magnetic-loop-calculator

There is a download link to a compressed file - loopcalc.exe - near the bottom of the page.

You can't connect a feedline directly to these loop antennas. There are three ways of doing the coupling:

1.) By means of a small coupling loop roughly 1/6th the diameter of the main loop.

2.) By means of a DIY ferrite transformer

3.) By means of a gamma match. (I don't like this one - hard to find the optimum position - but other folk seem to get on with it.)

I have found the ferrite transformer easy to implement using 10mm copper plumbing pipe. You just wrap 50Ω worth of hookup wire - I used PTFE but not essential - around the ferrite toroid and slide it onto the copper pipe. See attached below. The Q is astonishing so tuning is extremely sharp.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: antenna_mag_loop_coupling_ferrite.jpg (38.2 KB)
Edited by Walruss, Wednesday, 12. July 2017, 08:54.

TimH1971
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2116

Re: Quad Loops - any idea how quiet these are? QRM is the thing I am trying to lessen above all else.

Appreciate the help so far guys.

Tim

Walruss
Member Avatar

TimH1971
Wednesday, 12. July 2017, 10:40
Re: Quad Loops - any idea how quiet these are? QRM is the thing I am trying to lessen above all else.

Tim

A balanced loop gives some immunity to local common mode interference - i.e. the equal and opposite currents induced in both arms cancel eachother out.

Note below attached the low gain of the square quad loop, and the gains and impedances of the various loop permutations.

Also below attached, design of a simple ferrite balun to balance loop and match 50Ω impedance of feeder to the 100Ω or so of the loop.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: quad_loop_impedance_matching_with_balun.jpg (50.05 KB)
Attachments: quad_loop_impedance_and_gain_chart.jpg (90.54 KB)
Edited by Walruss, Wednesday, 12. July 2017, 11:14.

TimH1971
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 2116

Walruss
Wednesday, 12. July 2017, 11:13
TimH1971

Tim

A balanced loop gives some immunity to local common mode interference - i.e. the equal and opposite currents induced in both arms cancel eachother out.

Note below attached the low gain of the square quad loop, and the gains and impedances of the various loop permutations.

Also below attached, design of a simple ferrite balun to balance loop and match 50 impedance of feeder to the 100 or so of the loop.
Thanks Chris.

Tim.

Walruss
Member Avatar

TimH1971
Wednesday, 12. July 2017, 11:27
Walruss
Wednesday, 12. July 2017, 11:13
TimH1971

Tim

Also below attached, design of a simple ferrite balun to balance loop and match 50 impedance of feeder to the 100 or so of the loop.
Thanks Chris.

Tim.
At 27.350 MHz one wavelength is 10.96m.

We must allow for the velocity factor also called velocity of propagation of the wire, which is a nominal 0.95 for a straight copper wire. (much less for some coaxial cables!) This is the speed that an electromagnetic wave travels down the wire compared with the speed of an electromagnetic wave in a vacuum. So slower down the wire.

10.96m times 0.95 is 10.41m. (10.88*0.95 = 10.41)

This 10.41m we would call the electrical length of a wave of frequency 27.35MHz

Each of the four sides of a fullwave square quad loop would therefore be 10.41 divided by 4,
which is 2.6m.

A circular fullwave loop cut for 27.35 MHz and therefore having an electrical length of 10.41m will have a diameter of 3.31m - quite a big circle to keep in shape I'd say.

Kaos
Member Avatar
13 Charlie Tango 013

Here is my 2 element homebrew loop.

Posted Image

Pictured below is my BALUN. 75 ohm sat coax. I have long forgotten the length of it but found that the coke bottle was the best size for the 10 or so turns round the bottle.

Posted Image

Performance wise is kicks my 2 ele moxon loop into next week. Its VERY directional and the QRM FOR ME is very nearly nulled. I don't have much anyways but its a (slight) improvment.
13CT013 Tim aus Germany

So Mote it be

Walruss
Member Avatar

You're lucky to have so much space! :wave:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Aerials, RF & QRM Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com