Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. You are visiting the UK's biggest and most active CB Radio club.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Ofcom to legalise AM and SSB CB apparatus
Topic Started: Friday, 19. October 2012, 15:02 (3,757 Views)
Starship
Member Avatar

Ofcom to legalise AM and SSB CB apparatus
Ofcom has announced that it intends to legalise AM and SSB CB apparatus, subject to the MOD agreeing to the use of spectrum allocated to it. According to the statement on the Ofcom website, the relevant ECC Decision about harmonising CB across Europe should probably be implemented in the UK by the end of 2013. The statement indicates that there are several legislative and other steps that must first be carried out. It also points out that, until these changes are implemented, it will remain an offence to install or use AM, SSB or any other CB apparatus other than in accordance with the current exemption regulations and Interface Requirement. The full Ofcom statement is at http://tinyurl.com/Ofcom-SSB-CB.
"A Dog is for Life"

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Andy40UK
Member Avatar

Only 30 years late :cheers: :beer: :beer: :beer: :muppetanim:
[url="http://www.ecigalternative.com/quit-counter/quit-smoking-banner.php"]
Posted Image
[/url]

Burner
Member Avatar
26 CT 018

Good news for the chaps out there as stated 30 years too late
Posted Image

http://www.qrz.com/db/2E0SCM

Black Knight
Member Avatar

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
26CT003 / 26TM003

CQ CQ This is 26CT003 - Somerset, Calling.........

VoG
No Avatar

I still feel it is a case of "I'll believe it when I see it"[1]

I am surprised they're not saying that it will be made legal on 13 Dec 2012 (13/12/12). If they did then I would KNOW the Mayan Prophecies for the end of the world on 12/12/12 are to be taken seriously.
[1] No, not doubting Mark's statement, simply expressing a dubious belief that they'll pull their finger out before 2081 or something. "I will believe AM and SSB has been made legal in the UK only when I see it in print on the Ofcom Website"

Cozzmik
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 465

End of 2013 gives them time to come up with a reason not to go through with the introduction.....
Paws for thought
The more idiots i meet the more i like my dog :dog:

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
When I listen to AC/DC,
My neighbours do, too

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Starship
Member Avatar

it says only if the MOD agree to the change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! steve,
on ofcoms statement on the link.
mark.
"A Dog is for Life"

Deleted User
Deleted User

Quote:

it will remain an offence to install or use AM, SSB or any other CB apparatus other than in accordance with the current exemption regulations and Interface Requirement.

So your 30 year old Cobra/Stalker/Ham Int, President etc will still be a no-no - not a big suprise is it. I will also only believe it when I see it but, like I've said before, I do not think it's a good idea if I'm honest.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Quote:

it says only if the MOD agree to the change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Er, yeah...... This part of the spectrum is allocated to the MOD and whilst it's not used by them ATM this could change one way or the other I suppose.

Quote Post Goto Top

Radio Pixie
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 052

At least an offical statement of intent is better than an idle rumour. It suggests Ofcom is taking it seriously. We just have to allow the wheels and cogs to slowly turn.

Quote:

Is it illegal to own AM/SSB CB kit?
You may be committing an offence if it could be shown that you have and intend to use AM-only equipment or the AM/SSB element of multimode equipment before we change the legislation and the IR

Quote:

I got some AM/SSB kit off a bloke in the pub/eBay/mail order. Is it legal?
Equipment designed for use, for example, in the USA may well not conform to European requirements. Such equipment may not be used, even after the changes have been implemented. Any apparatus placed on the European market must bear the CE mark of conformity]

I was reading the link with great interest that rigs with a CE mark are allowed to be used on FM only at the moment and AM/SSB when regulations are changed. Excellent, I've just purchased a Jacko mk1 that has CE mark on the back and does the legal power. I'll just keep it on CEPT FM for now ;) I'm sure they had a CE certificate of compliance. And of course Jacko mk2 owners will be pleased :)

Not that people are going to use their old classics :D :o ;)
Edited by Radio Pixie, Friday, 19. October 2012, 18:12.
73 from Dave the Pixie 26CT052 - G7OPC - CB & Ham Radioaficionado :)

Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

Quote:

This is the part I find funny, because people will do just that and by doing so remain a illegal pirate - so does it matter?
Quote Post Goto Top

Radio Pixie
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 052

maybach52
Friday, 19. October 2012, 21:49
Quote:

This is the part I find funny, because people will do just that and by doing so remain a illegal pirate - so does it matter?
Matter to whom? Doesn't matter to me! As long as it doesn't harm none and the output is clean, let people use their 23ch/40ch American classics. After all, they were built to a standard including low pass filtering. Probably got better LP Filtering than some amateur gear. Since the US uses VHF television (including low band) the LP Filtering has to be very good. EMC problems of 30 odd years ago was more to do with the level of consumer electronic design than the interference from CB radios. As for 30 year old "export" radios, their specs can be quite suspect (not built to any national standards) and can be quite dirty on the output.
73 from Dave the Pixie 26CT052 - G7OPC - CB & Ham Radioaficionado :)

Posted Image

VoG
No Avatar

Bless the British Government, always on the ball to represent the desires of the People that they represent. In 1979, 80 and 81, we the People, asked our chosen representatives (the MPs who speak on our behalf in the government of our Country) to amend OUR Laws and let us use CB Radios like they could in America.

And, LESS THAN THIRTY FIVE YEARS LATER, they're saying that they will put the wheels in motion to grant our wishes. I know Governments are slow, but that takes the biscuit.

I've never been a Pro-Europe Fan[1] but this time we do have to accept that if it wasn't for the EC, we would still have nothing other than FM Muppets and we would be sharing that with Churches, Synagogs, Mosques and probably the Womens' Institute broadcasting an hour long daily "knit-along with the W I"

I don't see why they can't accept that the old radios will be used regardless, and simply say that using the original radios (the 148s, the Concordes, the Stalkers) is legal. Perhaps put a clause in there to say that it must have a maximum output of XX watts PEP and make it an offense to use something that has been badly "screwdrivered" or similar. But I am afraid that would be too much like admitting defeat and we know that Ministry Staffers (the REAL people who run the place, like "Sir Humphrey Appleby" and his trusty assistant "Bernard" from "Yes, Minister") don't like to be seen to lose face.

So, yes, I think we can expect Joe Clean-cut
  • using an unmodified, unmolested 40 channel (CEPT FCC) Cobra 146 GTL with 12w PEP, through a flawless and clean GainMaster,
to remain as much of an Evil Pirate as the Muppet "Dwaine" next door
  • with his 23MHz to 34MHz Jumbo (that has been more screwdrivers than his Dwaine's sister Twacey has seen condoms), blasting Rap Music on the 10m[2] band through a Dirty 2Kw amp and a mismatched aerial

[1] It was the British Commonwealth that stood by us in two World Wars and IMHO we should have concentrated on creating a "Commonwealth Common Market" rather than joining an EEC
[2] and the 5m Band, the 4m, 3m, 2m, 130cm, . . . . 60cm, etc.

Mulletmeister
No Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 682

Maybe I am missing the point here but aren't CEPT radios legal over here already? From 26.965 to 27.405 is what we are allowed to run on FM within the CEPT band ( mids ), so why would the UK have to consult with other CEPT member states, with regards to using those frequencies for AM/SSB if the CEPT members are already using it? I must admit I found that statement a little confusing (doesn't take a lot!!). :doh2:

I thought this was being dealt with, but had been delayed to the the Olympics, and the amount of temporary licences being issued? Now it's been pushed back another year!

The IR2027 comment was interesting. Again, I can't see what the issue is as the CEPT radios are already available to buy 'legally', although the comment about someone selling one with the knowledge that it could be used illegally was a bit of a farce, resulting in a potential prosecution!

Why do I get the feeling that if they had their way, they would legalise it, but on the stupid 12.5Khz UK frequencies?????? :headbang:

Sometimes I hate being a cynic, but as with most things in the world, someone is always looking to throw you a curve ball.

Reading the posting on the Ofcom site, you can see why things always end up so bloody expensive here! How many parties are there involved with a 'fairly' simple piece of legislation????? Mmmmm - The UK Govt, The ECC, CEPT, the MOD, Ofcom, European Member states, and European Parliament etc. The other comment I found amusing was the fact that CEPT decisions are not binding, but you have to go through the Euro Parliament to amend the IR2027, and then UK Parliament to amend it as well!!

How many people are getting fat off of a fairly benign piece of Legislation? :cigar:

In the meantime :pirate:

Posted Image

Cover me in honey and throw me to the lesbians!

Gestor
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 058
any step even if it is a late one(like 30 years) is good one
Posted Image

MM6RXJ/108 Charlie Tango 058

Delboy
Member Avatar

NAVADA are selling a new SSB multi standard cb now:

Advertising Link Removed By Firetrap

Posted Image

PDF file here: http://static1.nevadaradio.co.uk/downloads/Midland/NEWS_MIDLAND%208001%20XT_UK.pdf

Edited by Firetrap, Thursday, 8. November 2012, 13:20.
My Website: www.delboyenterprises.co.uk

My BLOG

World CB Radio Allocations

Posted Image

Simon-the-Wizard
Member Avatar

So at the last meeting of OFCOM it was once more brought up this subject. When the ERO announced the new norms for the "Pan EU Wide" use they took reports from manufacturers to state whether the new gear was fine or caused issues. Of course, they asked people who have a interest in the legal use of the bands.

Anyway to make a long story short.

a) UK as Well as the Netherlands have still OPTED OUT of the new norms ( At the present time )

They will indeed ask the ministry of defence to check and see if there are any harmonics issues with the new proposed legalisation

b) I know someone who was at the last meeting in Denmark and he told me yesterday via Skype " The UK prefers to have a new allowance of the novice license for amateur radio on pre determined and tested bands. This would be easier than to legalise something they don't want simply as the EU wants it"

IF it comes I think will be this time next year, and really is it needed? I would say it isn't needed. Those who want it, use it now. More often than not most of the people who want it legal will not BUY the new legal norm radios and prefer use there Cobra from 1981 so still remain illegal.

Czech Republic has now legal SSB and the stations there some of them told " we don't want it " as they believe it is a cheap way to force them into new equipment. So they remain mostly where they were way back, and not with the new standards in use
Edited by Simon-the-Wizard, Thursday, 8. November 2012, 09:38.

Rizz
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 301
Apart From working the USA legally, assuming people will use 12 watts which I doubt, I cant see any real use for it, at the moment there are 80 channels to use and there are only 4 used on a regular basis in my area.
FT7900 , , Microset 27/200 wideband amp, , Adonis 308, , MFJ 949e, President Lincoln, , Ranger Superstar 3900.

MikeAlpha3041
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 898

As we said back in the day, if everyone used it they would have to legalise it they couldn't possibly prosecute everyone as they would be going against the concept of democracy and it worked in Oz when they refused to buy a TV license they had to scrap it.

When are we going to learn the authorities derive the power from us if we revoke that power they have nothing........ :cheers:

If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are only talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.

AngloSaxon
Member Avatar
13 Charlie Tango 015

Ive got a Albrect AM/FM/SSB leagle CB, and it is sealed , and they say here when we get the green light next year we can use SSB, Iam english and i think its sad that mother England goes backwards instead of forward, If it was becouse of the MOD it doesent make sence becouse the british army has been over here so long and the Americans , and still we can use AM 4watts and hopefully next year 12 watts SSB, Its just politics no Freedom anymore , sad as CB is the peoples radio,
[imgh=100]http://z1.ifrm.com/2510/101/0/m4147336/photo-4147336.jpg[/imgh]

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · News and Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group Copyright © 2009 - 2017
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission. CharlieTango.co.uk have a legal Common Law Trademark and Registered Copyright #S0RN-LTC9-8CXT-LZLU of the brand "Charlie Tango" since 2009 and related Copyrights in place for domain names, Logos, images, format and layout of this website and associated material. charlietango.co.uk & charlietango.uk
Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected

View My Stats

DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE
ConspiracyEffect.com | V5Bid.com Auction | 041183.com | Hiya.Mobi | VR Portal.Net | TrainerSox.com | CoinStealth.com | ChoccyBox.com Domains | FlutterBets.com | CharlieTango.UK | HallmarkedGold.com | MozSubmit.com | HorizontalEarth.com
CharlieTango.co.uk contact email leewardill@gmail.com